Mt. Whitney Lottery

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ratboy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Mt. Whitney Lottery

Post by Ratboy »

Not to get all in the mix, but got notice for me and three friends to climb the hill with an entry date of 7/4/06...Git r Done....

Now I just have to wait...I hate waiting.
Dave - Getting it done, one day at at time.
http://www.dnkrhodes.com
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Are you backpacking or dayhiking it?

I'll be going up the MR, not sure when though.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Glad to hear that they are starting to send notices. I'm waiting to hear about a dayhike I have planned. I've been up there before, but a friend wants to go and asked me to tag along. My fingers are crossed.
airrj
Topix Novice

Post by airrj »

We received our Whitney permit about a week ago. We got our fourth choice of 09 August for JMT starting in Whitney. Apparently our first three choices (07 Aug, 06 Aug, and 08 Aug, in that order) were already full for a two-person permit.
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Good job, Ratboy! :) I've yet to hit in the lottery in about 8 years of trying... :( But it's all good, cuz the Sierra is a huge place!
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I got my first choice my first and only try, late Sept. a couple years ago for my 50th. Portal to Portal in 12.5 hours.
Piece of cake.
Ratboy
Topix Regular

Post by Ratboy »

I have been lucky. In 2004, got to go along on an overnight trip after some folks bailed out at the last minute, summited twice from Trail Camp in two days...

In 2005 got to summit again, this time securing overnight passes, some folks bailed on me, one got hurt, but was able to find some friends to go along.

So 2006 is supposed to be the year I finally get my pal Chris up; last year he tore his ankle with about 3 weeks before our entry date and could barely walk with crutches...

I have been lucky with getting passes and getting up the mountain, three years running, or walking as I like to do. But like the addage states, the mountain calls and I must go.

I would also like to do some other trips, like circanavigation of Shasta, high sierra trail, or just up to Langley...anyway, the range is long and there is much to do, so good luck to you all and take care. Here is to Whitney in 2006.

Be safe.
Dave - Getting it done, one day at at time.
http://www.dnkrhodes.com
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Been lucky enough to have been on top 5 times...but never up by the front trail, always from the back, or the MR once. - The last night, at Trail Camp or Consultation Lake, eventually exiting down the Portal.
This includes the Muir twice – (starting in Yosemite) - once from Onion Valley, and the last time from Horseshoe Meadows.
Getting a permit from the backside entry has always been relatively easy - midweek, (easier than the lottery) - I always enjoyed the extended trip - and the summit finale was a piece of cake after a week of Sierra acclimatization. In my opinion, other than doing the JMT - which is by far the very best way...the trip from Horseshoe Meadows, was the most rewarding.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Whew. Got my permit confirmation today. They gave me my last date choice, but at least I got it. I was starting to get concerned!