loch leven lakes trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

loch leven lakes trail

Post by adam »

I just got back from an absurdly warm, given the time of year, overnight at middle loch leven lake-- which was beautiful. However, since the one and only other time I went up there ~6 years ago on xc skis, the usfs seems to have re-routed the trail (or is there a summer and winter trail?). I remember going up a trail about where the topo map shows it up a pleasant forested valley; the trail now goes up a ridge in full sight and very loud sound of the interstate. here's a link to the map: http://picasaweb.google.com/arsmith2/Lo ... 3248410018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Does anyone know why the switch? is the old trail still accessible, or now someone's vacation cabin?

As for the trip, pictures are at http://picasaweb.google.com/arsmith2/LochLeven#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In breif, this trip is amazingly easy access (right off 80) and very short (~3.5 miles) to beautiful lakes that we had to ourselves (at least until the day hikers arrived at lunch time).

The downside is that you can hear the highway and railroad noise all the way up the trail, and, at night, even at the lakes. I don't think I would come up again without snow to muffle the sound.

it's amazing how nice it is right now-- hard to imagine winter's just around the corner!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: loch leven lakes trail

Post by maverick »

Really cool Adam.
What temp was the water?
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: loch leven lakes trail

Post by adam »

somewhere between "refreshing" and "painfully cold"-- maybe "uncomfortably cold"-- I certainly didn't want to linger for more than just quick jump in and out, but given the warm temps outside, it felt good.