mystery of Burro Lake | High Sierra Topix  

mystery of Burro Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: mystery of Burro Lake

Postby Rockstar fisherman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:45 am

Wow, we've gotton a lot more info this time around than when I originally asked about this lake that beckons me to visit it. I feel the same way, for some reason this place keeps telling me to "Come here!"

Don't know if this will help with all the great info in this thread but here's my thread from last year, it was also kinda my introduction to this forum as well.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3418

Mike

Rockstar fisherman
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Postby rlown » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks Rockstar.. missed the earlier post. Still looks like a nice lake to go to, and maybe lots of lil' protein in the water to enjoy with the scenery.. I'm still thinking if i did it, it'd be from the North, despite the skree/talus slope.. almost looks like a rock glacier from that approach, but i'm not a geologist.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby SSSdave » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Rockstar, all my searching outside hst never got a hit on your earlier post either for some reason. Search engines are odd like that sometimes so ought not be too trusted.

If one is just going to Burro Lake, then there is not all that much difference in total vertical to climb whether coming in from Virginia Lakes or Lundy. From Lundy the climb from 8200 to 10550 is all up or 2350 feet then all down. From Virginia one starts at 9850 via a longer more gradual mostly trail hike, climbing up to 11250 or 1400 feet but then on the way out must climb up another 700 feet from the lake for a trip total of 2100 feet. So the difference might be which route has less painful steeps? Giantbrookie has made a case for the VL route. In my situation, I have other photo reasons besides the Burro basin to go up from VL towards Virginia Pass in the late July through mid August period so now that the Burro Col route sounds more doable will opt for that.

At this point I'm even more interested in going up there than when I started this thread so have decided to put it near the top of my list for next year. To take care of both my targets, I will need at least 3 days and if I haven't any domestic issues limiting that would rather do it as a more releaxed 4-day trip with 2 in that basin in order to take care of what-ifs like weather. If any others on this board with solid offtrail skills have an interest in joining me (independently with their own travel, permit ,etc) I'm open to a sharing the effort.
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Postby Rockstar fisherman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 am

Well you titled this topic perfectly, the mystery of Burro Lake. I've only been able to google one image of the lake which I saved and found out pretty much everything else that you did about the place. It sure looks beautiful and like it has some awesome camping there as well. Oneday I'll have to try this place out. More for the conqueor than the fishing from what it sounds, but I'll still fish it.

Mike
Rockstar fisherman
Topix Acquainted

Postby SSSdave » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:16 pm

This last while I worked on one of my basin maps discussed on the following thread that includes the Burro Lake Basin.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4708

I cropped out a 2424 x 1824 pixel section of the full 3200 x 4000 pixel map so any of you interested in the basin can freely download and print it out if desired. With the print scaling set for 210 pixels per inch, the map will provide 1050 pixels per mile over a map distance of 5.0 inches. Note the full map has a key mentioned in the above thread but that is not part of this crop area and includes the upper Virginia Creek headwaters basin and the Green Creek headwaters. The map crop jpg is 1.9mb at this link:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/_a-z_evad/burro_lake1.jpg
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping