October Snowstorm, Sequoia National Park

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
peninsula
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

October Snowstorm, Sequoia National Park

Post by peninsula »

It was one of those trips I would NEVER want to repeat, but the memories, the experience, and the photography made for an adventure of a lifetime.

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... -2009.html
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: October Snowstorm, Sequoia National Park

Post by freestone »

Thank you for your report and beautiful pictures. To see the snow fall like that without any wind, in such a remote location too me, is true adventure! The best part is, of course, you are ok.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

freestone wrote:Thank you for your report and beautiful pictures. To see the snow fall like that without any wind, in such a remote location too me, is true adventure! The best part is, of course, you are ok.
Thanks freestone. It was a surreal storm. Walking about the area early in the storm was beautiful! These giant snow flakes would hit the water and not melt, they formed shapes just like a story-book snowflake. With the absolute stillness in the air, it was a very peaceful experience. But then it kept snowing, relentlessly, and the wonder of it all became clouded with insecurity. I'm lucky to have had the experience, but I'm not aiming to ever repeat it! I do want to return to the area again in the fall, it is a beautiful time of year.
yosemitechris
Founding Member

Post by yosemitechris »

Great story and pix. I sent it on to interested parties. Thanks.

Yosemite Chris
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

yosemitechris wrote:Great story and pix. I sent it on to interested parties. Thanks.

Yosemite Chris
You are welcome and thank you!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Cool trip report Peninsula, with some great weather for photography, thanks for taking
the time to post it.
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

maverick wrote:Cool trip report Peninsula, with some great weather for photography, thanks for taking
the time to post it.
Thanks maverick,

I've always enjoyed your material, too!
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

peninsula,

i can totally relate.

i was in the big arroyo when that storm hit.

i went in from crescent meadow and made it to kern hot springs. i was going to head north and visit the upper kern basin. a fella at the hot springs who came in from mineral king affirmed the 10 day forcast i did before i headed out. (the 10 day only gave me a 20% chance of rain/snow and i figured it would be a light winter storm like the one that came through a week beforehand)
...and so i decided to head back out.

hiking above moraine lake on the chagoopa plateau, i met two people (male and female) on their way to whitney who said the rangers told them it was a biggie, expecting 5 inches of rain at lower elevations... and so i was glad to have decided to turn back. unfortunately (or fotunately depending on perspective) i did not make it to kaweah gap before the storm hit... so i hunkered down in the big arroyo near the cabin site. those 2 people must have been at or near the hot springs when the storm hit. did you see them? wait, i finshed reading your report... i see that you did meet ted and jennifer. i'll assume they were the ones that came in from the westside.

tuesday was kewl, with light snowfall. at first, i thought there was a bear outside turning over rocks... but i discovered it was snow falling off the trees making a "plod" sound as they hit the ground. i was in heaven. i stayed indoors most of the day and read a book.

then all hell broke loose once the sun went down... as it started to pound rain and sleet ALL NIGHT LONG. i kept batting off the snow from the tent and it in turn, ended up constricting the ditches i made around the tent resulting in water getting under my tent and eventually seeping into the tent (piece of crap stephenson warmlite, even after seam sealing). also, batting the snow off the tent made condensation inside the tent splatter on me which aggravated my attempt to stay dry. i was busy all night mopping up water with my spare t-shirt and my sleeping bag was getting wet. once light began to show at dawn, my jacket was even showing signs of getting wet but i managed. i remember staying focused on keeping the bag on my insulite pads as good as i could to prevent from really getting soaked and into a hypothermic situation.... but at dawn, my legs which were really wet were beginning to shiver. peering outside, i saw that the clouds were getting thinner and so i knew it would break on wednsday - and it did. once the sun came out, i began to dry things out.

it must have rained somewhere between 7-9 inches and the big arroyo was a raging torrent. it flash flooded around 2AM cuz i hear it begin to roar all within a period of like 10 minutes.

here's a slideshow:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12579619@N ... 0497/show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a few videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTmSXa1ziNE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2BMDoiM_LU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

once i got over kaweah gap, i was really tired from punching through 12"-16"of wet snow every other step. i camped in the snow just south of the gap at a tarn. that's when i saw a rescue chopper fly by. never saw it come back out. upon return home, my wife told me about the 3 lost hikers. the next morning, walking on the snow was much easier... but there were icy sections around precipice lake that slowed me back down as i had to kick my heels into the snow, breaking the hard surface in order to have some traction.

i would not want to experience a monsoon storm like this again.... but looking back, it was quite an experience. in retropect, i should have taken my other tent (northface nebula) which weighs 4 pounds more than the stephensons but it sure does a great job repelling rain, even when waterlogged underneath.

does anyone know what direction this storm came from? it really didn't seem like a cold arctic storm as it was rather warm with the rain & sleet at 9600 feet. when i first noted the storm clouds, they were coming up from the south. that then turned and they were coming in from the west. maybe like a "pineapple express" coming in from the hawaiian islands?
Last edited by lostcoyote on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

lostcoyote wrote:peninsula,

i can totally relate.

i was in the big arroyo when that storm hit.
Wow! Great pictures, Lostcoyote!

It sounds like you lived the exact same experience as I did only wetter! It will be an experience we can hope to never repeat, but it was a beauty. Thanks for sharing.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

ge whizz penn, if that storm had not hit, we may have crossed paths cuz i was going to be headed north through junction meadow. then in the upper kern basin, loop back by catching the pacific crest east of lake south america and come back down wallace creek to junction meadow.

okay, so after this one, i want a new tent!!!!!

something lightweight and warm like the stephensons, but really waterproof like my northface nebula which is an 8 pound tent.

anyone have any suggestions????

glad to hear that ted and jenn made it out as well as you. when i was snow camping, i thought that rescue chopper might have been slated for them.