Looking for suggestions on a 3-day trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lucien
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Looking for suggestions on a 3-day trip

Post by lucien »

My lovely wife has never been into the back country, and it has been a few years for me, but I would like to take her to some wonderful place. Here we are all geared up, thanks to a good friend, and now we just need a destination. Leaving Wednesday from San Fran area, driving home Sunday or Monday.
Here are some thoughts I had:

-Spectacular views and scenery
-Hot springs would be wonderful
-Relatively easy access, both from SF and from the trailhead-we are both early 40's and fit, but I don't want to beat her up. Maybe 5-10 miles per day. We are open to staying somewhere for 2 nights as well.
-I know weather is unpredictable, but we would prefer to be in an area that does not get extremely cold. I did see the forecast on http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=CAZ096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Fish for breakfast and dinner if and when possible

Any suggestions for us?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:
rns&thedogs
Topix Newbie

Re: Looking for suggestions on a 3-day trip

Post by rns&thedogs »

Wife and i would also like to hear that. Im just now breaking her into hiking/packing so suggestions would also be appreciated.

Yosemite? I was actually considering the lindle loop since it is not to long and plenty of lakes around for us to stop and enjoy.

Rob
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

If you want something in October - November, with the not-too-cold option, the Sierras are a bad idea. It snowed on us last weekend and that wasn't a "real" snowstorm - those are coming up in the weeks to come. 25F low at night at moderate elevations - we weren't even at 9,000 feet.

For something with hot springs, check out the Sespe region. Also Santa Barbara. There are a ton of hot springs on the east side of the Sierras, you could look at those too - but you will again be dealing with increased probability of snow.

Yosemite is nice, but unless you again want low night temps and snow, might be better to wait until late spring next year, when all the services are operating and all the shuttles and buses are going. Some great hikes are possible for newbies - the High Sierra Camps can be done with a day pack as you are staying in tent cabins at each camp. But apply before Nov 1 2009 for next year, the HSC loop is very popular and space limited.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accomodatio ... Camps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lucien
Topix Newbie

Post by lucien »

Ya, we were going to head up to Florence lake but the snow came so we stayed in our warm bed all weekend. Next year. I'll check your other suggestions as well. thanks!