Want a TR, name these places I visited?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Want a TR, name these places I visited?

Post by maverick »

I went out last weekend for four days, where was I? First 2, name the area the 3rd name
the exact location.
http://maverick.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p316809387-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://maverick.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p180857373-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://maverick.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p56710689-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: Want a TR, name these places I visited?

Post by AlmostThere »

total guesses....

second one, looking down at Ediza on the way/at Iceburg. Third one looks like Mono Lake tufas.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Agree with AlmostThere on Mono Lake Tufas. I don't know about the other two
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mono is correct.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

And I thought #3 was The Minarets ! ;)

Surprising now with 79 looks no one has yet recognized #2 as that was instantly obvious to me. Probably would have been quickly id'd over at summitpost. Can't any of yuh's people make out Mount Clark below the skyline?

Then there is #1 that is simply too little a clue unless it happened to be a from popular trail. If from an offtrail spot like #2 then it is unlikely to be guessed because there isn't much shown except a couple of rocky points on a granite ridge with some talus and whitebark pines. Hundreds of high country places are vaguely similar and as there is nothing there outstanding, even someone visiting that spot would unlikely recall it more than a short period later. An example of similar terrain would be the east trending ridge from Mount Lamarck that form a pyramidal peak above Lower Lamarck Lake if viewed from the side of the knob west above the lake. But lots of places look so.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

A clue though very vague would be the peak behind the boulder was a
sentimental favorite of GB's dad, which would give you the area.
Yeah the Clark Range is something I though people would have noticed in
the background too.
And yes, Mono should have be an automatic.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

#1 My first immediate guess was near Kaweah Gap...evidently from the next photos and assuming its all from the same trip that guess is dead wrong.
#2 hmmm...
#3 I'd guess is somewhere between Matthes Crest and Echo Peaks (echo lake in the distance?)
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

no.1 Is just below the east spur of North Peak WNW of Saddlebag Lake (looking up toward North Peak). My dad's ashes are scattered very close to this spot. North Peak was one of my first summits back in the 60's.
no.2 Mono Lake has already been guessed
no. 3 is looking south over Echo L. with Matthes Crest on the left and the Clark Range in the back.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you Copeg and GB for coming thru, Echo Pass and 20 Lakes Basin, I knew
you would recognize the spot GB in 20 Lakes Basin.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thought I would play the game a bit too so looked on my site for a tricky landscape. The following is a 4x5 Provia 100F taken in July of 2007. Call it the "The Bent Pinnacle". Beyond the pic a clue is that a trail is within 100 yards of the tripod spot. The sulphur flowers and paintbrush in the foreground each last just a few days and in dry years are thinner so timing even if one knows the location is difficult. I'm likely to have it drum scanned sooner or later and added to my main gallery.

Well here a better pic of the same image not downsized by this board's narrow forum width:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/07-X3-3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;