Free Steripen - somewhere in Piute Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Free Steripen - somewhere in Piute Canyon

Post by calipidder »

Hey all - just got back from a terrific trip over Lamarck Col, into Darwin and Evolution Basin, and then out via Piute Canyon/Humpreys Basin. My hiking partner accidentally left her steripen at a water refill stop in Piute canyon. She's not terribly concerned about getting that exact Steripen back (she plans on just buying a new one) but feels very guilty about leaving it in the backcountry.

I know it's a long shot....but if anyone is passing through this area soon and finds it, feel free to keep it or pass it on to someone who needs it. It was last seen just beyond (about 1/3 mile) Hutchinson Meadow (on the way up Piute Canyon), at a rock outcropping next to the river. It's an obvious stopping point after passing through the Meadow area and across the stream crossings flowing out of French Canyon.

(Maybe Piute Canyon should be renamed 'Free Junk' Canyon? Last time I passed through the area I found a free box of wine)