Little Lakes Valley -Rock Creek Canyon- Backpack Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
teejay
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Little Lakes Valley -Rock Creek Canyon- Backpack Trip

Post by teejay »

I packed in to Box Lake on upper Rock Creek in the Little Lakes Valley on Monday. This particular lake is about 2 miles from the Mosquito Flats trailhead and is located in the John Muir Wilderness.
The original plan was to make a base camp at Box and day hike to some of the other lakes in the area. However, an upset stomach nixed that plan. Anyway, it was all good: hanging out at Box provided for plenty of R&R in addition to fine fishing.
Unfortunately, my camera battery died after the first day.

View south from Box Lake inlet towards Bear Creek Spire and other high peaks above Little Lakes Valley. The smoke from the Yosemite fire made for hazy skies.

Campsite at Box Lake. Elevation 10,480ft. Nights were chilly.

View from lake inlet towards Morgan Peak ridge.

View north from lake inlet. The reeds in the shallow inlet area provide for a good insect base for the trout to feed on. The brookies seemed to prefer the marshy area.

A mother duck and her two ducklings (unable to get all in photo) squat out my fishing spot. Hey, guys. I was here first!

East end of lake has large rocky outcrop and deep water. The rainbows seemed to prefer this area of the lake. Overall, fishing was best in the evening.

Rainbow Trout to 10 inches. Brook Trout to 9 inches.

Sunset over Box Lake: A beautiful finale to a wonderful trip.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Little Lakes Valley -Rock Creek Canyon- Backpack Trip

Post by The Other Tom »

Sounds like you had a good time, despite the stomach difficulties. Love the sunset pic. Thanks for posting
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Aside from the upset stomach and camera battery dying, looks like some great r&r. Thanks for sharing!
teejay
Topix Acquainted

Post by teejay »

The Other Tom wrote:Sounds like you had a good time, despite the stomach difficulties. Love the sunset pic. Thanks for posting
copeg wrote:Aside from the upset stomach and camera battery dying, looks like some great r&r. Thanks for sharing!
I think that the smoke from the fires and the remnants of a tropical storm made for that sunset. But, of course, as fate would have it, the sunrise the following morning was even better. I sure wish that the battery didn’t conk out.
Also, I just noticed that the pictures I posted are all cut in half. I have to figure out what I’m doing wrong.
Best regards
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

teejay wrote: Also, I just noticed that the pictures I posted are all cut in half. I have to figure out what I’m doing wrong.
Best regards
Instead of using img tags, use the rimg tags.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
EastSideClimb
Topix Acquainted

Post by EastSideClimb »

I did a trip in that area a couple of years ago, and can relate to the stomach problems...thats a real high trailhead so its tough for the non-acclimated such as I. Makes me want to go back and throw some dries....