Giant Forest to Whitney Portal: permits available?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
redneck
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Giant Forest to Whitney Portal: permits available?

Post by redneck »

I am planning a walk from Giant Forest across the Great Western Divide and the Kern River to Whitney Portal. For important sentimental reasons (ie, I walked much of the same route 30 years ago this year), I would like to make this hike in late August of 2006.

I know I am too late for the lottery for Mt Whitney climbs this year, but I was wondering whether anyone could provide some insight as to whether I had a chance at getting a permit for a hike in from the west, which I assume is much different from most of the Whitney hike applications. Also, I could easily schedule my Whitney days for mid-week.

Can anyone suggest my chances at getting a permit for this post-lottery?
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

Don't know about the west side approach (others surely will). Permits from Giant Forest or Crescent Meadow are pretty easy to get. I got one 2 years ago less than a month before my trip.

If you can't get Whitney access, consider exiting a Cottonwood or Horseshoe ~2 days more to your trek. If hiking Whitney is important, do it as a day hike from Crabtree Meadow or Guitar Lake. Steve