Mineral King Trip Report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mineral King Trip Report

Post by copeg »

Thanks for the verification Mav, ad thanks for the comments trav.

A couple more:
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

Beautiful photos! I' ve done this trip twice in various ways. The sandy slog up Sawtooth Pass is the worst. The last time I went over Black Rock Pass, clouds were zooming through the gap and I could lay down on one side and stick my hand up into the clouds! Pretty cool and one of hiking's little perks. :)

Alan
STRETCHMAN
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by STRETCHMAN »

Greg,
In the first set of photo's, the 30 min moonlight exposure, I'm guessing your using film?
If so, what ISO are you using? I have trouble w/Digital and long exposures. If you are
using digital, any advise for long exposure ISO. Thanks again for sharing your photo's
with us amatures. :)
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks Alan and stretchman.
Alan, that's pretty cool about the clouds.
Stretchman, that was digital at iso200 (at the time I sure did wish I had brought my film camera). I'll usually hover around iso400 at night, but because of the moonlight bumped it down a bit. I was a bit surprised at the lack of noise, my previous digital couldn't go five minutes without accumulation of noise. The going recommended techniques nowadays to reduce noise is to a) take several consecutive photos and stack them in photoshop and/or b) take an image of the same length with the lenscap on and subtract out the noise (both are frequently used in astrophotography). Of course a sturdy tripod helps.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Wonderful photos...ditto whoever said puts theirs to shame ...:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

ndwoods wrote:Wonderful photos...ditto whoever said puts theirs to shame ...:)
- that goes for me too!

I look thru the pictures that I take, and I think they're pretty good.... until I see posts like yours, Greg. You've got this magic touch! They can't ALL be simply the "right place at the right time".

Your trip report is just as interesting. My trip reports are basically "trip was great....this is what I did....I had a great time....." You, Marksor, and Laura (and others) can paint a picture with your words, and I feel like I'm there.

Rosie
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

And another ditto from me! I really appreciate the trip reports since I generally don't have a way with words and mine would be rather dull. Quality photographs require effort, equipment and skill so it's great to see people who can put the elements together. :thumbsup:

Alan
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks Dee, Rosie, and Alan. I'm glad it was a good read with a good visual show :thumbsup:
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

Thanks for the report. I may be heading up that way tomorrow. Might not even bring a camera and just claim your photos as mine. :^o

The story with parking at MK. Late season the Marmots eat other things? Are people still taking marmot precautions or is it not a problem?
copeg

Post by copeg »

norcalhiker wrote:Thanks for the report. I may be heading up that way tomorrow. Might not even bring a camera and just claim your photos as mine. :^o

The story with parking at MK. Late season the Marmots eat other things? Are people still taking marmot precautions or is it not a problem?
Take the camera...its worth it. Memories in the form of a picture can be invaluable. :nod:
Late season, "marmots eat other things"- so the ranger tells me. Out four days and no protection: no ill effects. Of the twenty or so cars at the trailhead, only one took precautions. If you are truly worried, buy some chicken wire on the way up and 'wrap up' before you leave.