Early Summer

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nezshoo_03
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Early Summer

Post by nezshoo_03 »

When would be the right season to head out into the mountains and start camping? Would anyone know any good trails that would be good to settle down for a few months? I want to try and leave late may/early june. Try to stay there as long as I can. Three months maybe? I'm looking to camp near a lake.

Would anyone want to help a newb try and find a prime location to post up at?
<(O_o<) MeOw~~
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Depends on the snow year. A number of years ago, I couldn't drive the last 100 yards in to the trailhead on the July 4th weekend because of snow. My whole bp trip for the weekend was over snow. The elevation was around 5500 to 6000 not sure. Some years I have heard that the passes are clear in June. All you can do is ask here or call the Forest Service or Park where you want to go. You know, in National Forests you can only stay for 2 weeks in any Forest, before having to move on to another to be legal.

Think low elevation to begin with.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Last year we started July 6th for 10 days. We decided to bail after the 4th day because of high water crossings and deep suncups. It took 2 days to get out.

Other years we started in May or June. Like hikerduane said, depends on the snow year.

I'll be posting pics from Mammoth Mountain from the top that should show what the snow levels are. In the spring I'll post pics of the Sierra from Hwy 395.

3 months? Just noticed you said camping, and not backpacking. If you're backpacking, you will need a permit. If you're car camping there's a limit on how long you can stay. Need more info on what you're doing.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nezshoo_03
Topix Novice

><

Post by nezshoo_03 »

I think the mountians won't be my haven this year if I can't spent as much time as I want to. It really bums me out that I can't stay where I want to. I mean what am I suppose to do to escape these concerte jungle?

<sighs> I might be trying to go down south instead than.
<(O_o<) MeOw~~
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Nez,
Instead of sitting in one place, (or going South)...why not do the entire JMT slowly - extend it to 2 months...do some fishing, and take your time? Just put in for a 60 day permit in Yosemite - (you might have to wait a few days in the Valley to get the permit but...you have the time)...that should hold you over for most of the summer...then, if you have more time, you can always go back and sit anywhere you really find enjoyable. Once you have the basic backpacking equipment, it should not cost you that much to hang out in the High Sierra - almost anywhere off road - 2 weeks at a time. If you are car camping though...maybe, it will cost you a lot more $$$. You can leave a car in Yosemite - in the Curry lot - for a month at a time...
If you do not have the legs to do the JMT...I say, just get a cheap pack...some semi- decent gear...and spend the entire summer hitch-hiking up and down highway 395...Whitney to Tahoe. Sounds like a grand adventure to me...Permits are always available (40%) are for walk-in...tomorrow only. Take advantage of this opportunity.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
nezshoo_03
Topix Novice

Traveling Music Man...

Post by nezshoo_03 »

I really just want to get away from my job and the city life to do some hardcore practicing. I have a traveling drum kit with me I don't really know how much stress it will be on me while I'm traveling. I'm just looking for places to post up where I can pratice like 10 hours a day. Hehe, Get some hardcore training in. Also try to work my way back into Eden and reconnect myself with nature.

My soul is dieing here... <(O_o<)
<(O_o<) MeOw~~
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

You need to head out to the middle of the desert where you won't disturb anyone. There are a few places in Nevada where you won't bother anyone.
Piece of cake.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

As a resident of Nevada I take umbrage with this comment! As far as I know there are many places where you can go and be in the middle of nowhere!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Come on...be nice, Duane. :p
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I went to High School in Eureka, lived in Diamond Valley with a generator for power, no phone. Second bathroom was the outhouse we relegated to backup staus after my folks had a carpenter do a remodel on the house before we moved in. Gravel road, nearest neighbor was a mile away. Plllllssssttttttt!!!! Yes. alot of Nevada is the middle of nowhere. You just need to know where to go for fishing and such.
Piece of cake.