Sierra Zip Stove allowed up high?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jimqpublic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sierra Zip Stove allowed up high?

Post by jimqpublic »

Quick question for those in the know-

Is the Sierra Zip woodburning stove permitted up high where campfires are prohibited? One could argue that it uses much less wood than a campfire and doesn't leave a mark so it might be permitted. OTOH it does burn some wood.

Jim
Jim
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

I've actually wondered about this same thing, as I use a zip stove. What I have done on days that I knew I was going to be camping near or above the timberline, I would just gather a small zip-lock bag full of twigs and small chunks of wood when I'd stop for a break in a wooded area at some point during the day. That way I could still cook my dinner, but it wasn't depleting what little wood there was in those areas. It doesn't take much wood at all to boil some water in a zip stove for dinner, a cup of tea, and to wash up with.

George, could you shed some light on this? When I've camped at a place like Dusy Basin, for example ...there are posted signs for no cooking fires, but I assumed it was because there was so little wood, if it was burned there will be none left. If I carry my own wood for my zip stove, is this illegal in these areas?

I really do love my zip stove...

Rosie
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

zip stove use above timberline

Post by freestone »

The following is a responce I recieved concerning woodburning sierra zip stoves and their use above timberline.....

Hello,
Yes, these stoves are allowed, but you must collect your fuel where fires
are allowed and pack it in.

Thank you for your interest in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

Kim Fontaine
Interpretation and Cultural Resources
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
559-565
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Excellent!! :D

I was sure hoping that would be the response from the powers that be. Thank you for forwarding the info!

Rosie
streamer
Topix Novice

Post by streamer »

Thanks for the info Freestone. You've made Alde Farte's day!
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

That is good to get a definite answer on that. I too use and am very fond of my zip stove. I've done that (carry twigs from campfire permitted areas to high altitude), and even thought about carrying the ashes out, too. But you end up with such a small amount of ashes that it just didn't seem necessary.
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir