A basecamp/dayhike week further to the south.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
norcalhiker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

A basecamp/dayhike week further to the south.

Post by norcalhiker »

Hey ya'll,

I broke my shoulder this summer. Lame I know. And while I can't backpack ](*,), or work [-( , I can dayhike. Last week I spent time on Hwy 4 and 108. And in a few days I'm off for another ~8 days.

Where to? I want to skip Yosemite due to the crowds. So, I'm looking for suggestions south of Yosemite. I can't use my left arm, so no scrambles. I'm looking for suggestions. Ideally, a place would have multiple great dayhikes in a close vicinity, then another ~2hr drive to another places with more great hiking.

Places off 395 seem like the logical choice. Though it's often just one trail from each trailhead. How about on the west side? I'm done most of the trails from Cedar Grove. The Generals Highway seems like it might suit me, not sure how much time I've been down there. But will I be able to satisfy my desire for high country terrain on ~10-15mi dayhikes?

Any suggestions? It's time to get some!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: A basecamp/dayhike week further to the south.

Post by gary c. »

From the 395 side there are several different trails and directions to go from the Whiney Portal / Horse Shoe Meadows area. I have not really hiked the area much but I think it would suit your needs and you would be camped at high elevation.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Little Lakes Valley
North and South Fork Big Pine Creek
North and Middle Fork Bishop Creek
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Bishop would be your best bet. In close proximity, you have trailheads to Bishop Pass, Piute Pass, Lamarck Col and Sabrina Basin. Also Table Mountain, although I've never done that one.

The other hikes mentioned above are great too.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

norcalhiker wrote:I want to skip Yosemite due to the crowds.
If you go to tuolumne, the only crowds you'll have to deal with are at the campground, and even that's not a big deal compared to popular campgrounds elsewhere on the east side. The dayhiking out of Tuolumne and around there is fabulous. I recently hiked up to Parker Pass from Dana Meadows - saw nobody on the way out and just a few people on the way back. And going up the Muir Trail in Lyell Canyon, not many people there either. Just don't go to Cathedral Lakes - that seems to be the place most people go. Step off the trail at all - and there are lots of great places to go off-trail around there - and you'll feel like it's a private park.
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

I'm heading to the Bishop region. :thumbsup: :p