southern sierra trip advice | High Sierra Topix  

southern sierra trip advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
User avatar

southern sierra trip advice

Postby kem » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi,

I am looking for advice on a backpacking trip in the southern Sierra (Sequoia National Park is about as far North as we'd like to go). We just went over the top with the New England weather and booked flights to Phoenix (they were cheap) for the end of August. The plan is to drive to California and do a 4-day, 3-night backpacking trip (3-day, 2-night would be OK). We'd like to do a loop, if possible, and big mountain scenery would be great. We don't do dry camping so water at night is important. We're experienced backpackers and we've backpacked in Yosemite and King's Canyon (Rae Lakes Loop) so we're somewhat familiar with the Sierras. The Rae Lakes Loop was one of our favorites. We're looking for around 6-9 miles a day. I don't know if permits will be hard to get in Sequoia National Park this late in the game, but I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

~kem



User avatar
kem
Topix Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:11 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: southern sierra trip advice

Postby copeg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 am

If you are coming from Phoenix, an east side entry is easiest, so the Mineral King suggestion below is a bit further when it comes to driving time.
1) Horseshoe Meadow -> New Army Pass -> Crabtree Meadow -> Whitney. A visit to Miter Basin is recommended, and if you have x-country experience and feel confident going over rough terrain with full pack you can go over Crabtree Pass. Its not a complete loop, and you'd need to hitch a ride back to your car (or park at Whitney and hitch a ride to the beginning). The loop isn't entirely necessary, and Cottonwood Lakes/Miter Basin alone are worthy destinations.
2) Mineral King -> Columbine Lake -> Big/Little Five Lakes -> Black Rock Pass -> Timber Gap -> Mineral King. (Mineral King has a reputation for having Marmots that like to eat car parts - see this thread for more info, links, and resources))
User avatar
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:25 pm
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: southern sierra trip advice

Postby MountainMinstrel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:24 pm

copeg wrote:If you are coming from Phoenix, an east side entry is easiest, so the Mineral King suggestion below is a bit further when it comes to driving time.
1) Horseshoe Meadow -> New Army Pass -> Crabtree Meadow -> Whitney. A visit to Miter Basin is recommended, and if you have x-country experience and feel confident going over rough terrain with full pack you can go over Crabtree Pass. Its not a complete loop, and you'd need to hitch a ride back to your car (or park at Whitney and hitch a ride to the beginning). The loop isn't entirely necessary, and Cottonwood Lakes/Miter Basin alone are worthy destinations.
2) Mineral King -> Columbine Lake -> Big/Little Five Lakes -> Black Rock Pass -> Timber Gap -> Mineral King. (Mineral King has a reputation for having Marmots that like to eat car parts - see this thread for more info, links, and resources))


I like option 1 but at 41 miles is above the 6-9 per day that Kem mentioned. At 30 or so the trip out of Mineral King looks like a better option but my maps do not show a trail from Monarch Lakes over Sawtooth Pass to Columbine Lakes (I assume that would be the route). If there is a use trail there, that would be a nice trip.

If you want to come the the west side another nice trip would be out of Woverton.
Woverton -> Alta Meadows -> Alta Peak (day hike) then off trail to Mouse Lake -> Pear Lake -> Woverton. Not sure of the exact milage for this but it looks like less than 40 maybe closer to 30.

I have not done this yet but it is on my list for next year. I have done Alta Peak and Pear Lakes, but have never connected them together.

I am sure you will get more advice on East side entries, but I do not go there often.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
User avatar
MountainMinstrel
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: Sonora
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: southern sierra trip advice

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:12 am

MountainMinstrel wrote:
If you want to come the the west side another nice trip would be out of Woverton.
Woverton -> Alta Meadows -> Alta Peak (day hike) then off trail to Mouse Lake -> Pear Lake -> Woverton. Not sure of the exact milage for this but it looks like less than 40 maybe closer to 30.



Just to save some hunting on a map.... Moose Lake, and Wolverton. (Why Moose? Not a clue. There are more mice and no moose out here. :confused: )

That's a nice overnight loop - or a really buttkicking day hike. Alta is a 13 mile round trip to the peak, and Moose is a couple beyond that. Add another day and you can wander around in the Tablelands before dropping into Pear and hiking the 6-7 miles back to Wolverton.
User avatar
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: southern sierra trip advice

Postby MountainMinstrel » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:03 pm

AlmostThere wrote:
MountainMinstrel wrote:
If you want to come the the west side another nice trip would be out of Woverton.
Woverton -> Alta Meadows -> Alta Peak (day hike) then off trail to Mouse Lake -> Pear Lake -> Woverton. Not sure of the exact milage for this but it looks like less than 40 maybe closer to 30.



Just to save some hunting on a map.... Moose Lake, and Wolverton. (Why Moose? Not a clue. There are more mice and no moose out here. :confused: )

That's a nice overnight loop - or a really buttkicking day hike. Alta is a 13 mile round trip to the peak, and Moose is a couple beyond that. Add another day and you can wander around in the Tablelands before dropping into Pear and hiking the 6-7 miles back to Wolverton.


Ok OK so I don't speel gud :retard:
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
User avatar
MountainMinstrel
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: Sonora
Experience: N/A


Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: John Harper, MSNbot Media [Bot] and 9 guests