"A Hike for Hope"... and 50-anniversary Whitney Hike!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: "A Hike for Hope"... and 50-anniversary Whitney Hike!

Post by copeg »

All right Rosie! :partyman:
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Good going! :)
—B²
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Congratulations!!!!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Congratulations, Rosie!

That Morton's really sux at times. I've had it for about 20 years now.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parker3
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Parker3 »

Hi Rosie,
It's Steve the guy you met at Rae Lakes ( my friend Brian also met you that day). Congratulations on your incredible accomplishment. Both Brian and couldn't get you out of our mind for the rest of our trip. You are such an incredible spirit. I sent you the post card that you gave me from Tassajara with some thoughts that I heard at a Dharma talk. Take care and I hope our paths cross again. Come to Chicago!

Steve
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

A HIKE FOR HOPE:
I got home a few days ago, and I’ve been in the process of trying to get caught up on everything.

My “hike for Hope” was everything I’d hoped it would be! At times it was an emotional roller-coaster that often mirrored the trail’s profile, but it was all exactly where I needed to be. I met so many wonderful people, and got to experience,again, the beauty and intensity of the John Muir Trail.

It was interesting that, every day, I saw things in two’s – two butterflies circling each other, two deer, two unusual trees, side-by-side, two squirells playing/chasing each other…. and it always reminded me that Sonny and my Dad were there with me.

The segment that I missed from Red’s Meadow to the JMT/Piute Pass Trail intersection due to the foot neuroma can be done on another trip. Unfortunately, the cortisone shot that I got in Bishop didn’t help that much, but learned how to manage the pain by taking my boot off every hour or so to give my foot a break…. It worked and I was able to keep going.

Laura surprised me at Upper Rae Lake with a much-needed re-supply of ibuprofen, and also some tape for my foot. She showed me how to tape my foot to get thru the next week; the taping worked better than anything, including the shot. Laura then proceeded to make the best cup of coffee I’d EVER had, and produced some great cookies to go with it. Laura had left the Onion Valley Trailhead at 2:00AM to go over Kearsarge Pass AND Glenn Pass, and got to Rae Lake at 8:00 AM…. She’s amazing! She then proceeded to go back over Glenn and to Charlotte Lake with me. We were hoping to see George and Paige but they weren’t there when we got there. Laura headed back to Kearsarge around 3:00 or so. (I did have a nice visit with George and Paige later that day and the following morning).

I camped at some new places along the trail…. and some old, favorite sites – places I remember so well with my family. My last night I spent on the summit – it was so wonderful! I was the only one up there… I stayed in the shelter, watched the sunset and burned incense; it was so very peaceful. It was the perfect ending to this hike.

When I got down to the Portal (August 21st) a lot of my family was there to meet me. Laura, in the true “Moosetracks” style, had a bottle of champagne to commemorate the end of the hike with. What a wonderful celebration.

50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY HIKE:

The day after I got to the Portal, we went to the Visitors Center and got our permits for our 50th Anniversary Mt. Whitney Hike! I was really nervous about getting our permits because there were only 7 spots available and at least 25 people hoping to get those permits. The staff had everyone pick a group leader for the lottery – my sister went up and picked #1! We got 6 overnight permits; we got 4 more day hikes for the second day as some of my brothers and nephew wanted to do it as day hikes.

We started our overnight trip on August 23rd, and had such a great time! It was so fun spending this time with my brothers and sisters, I could not have pictured a more perfect anniversary hike! We actually brought up a bottle of champagne for a summit toast, but it was really more for the pictures :D ! None of us were comfortable drinking at that elevation, so we all just had a sip or two. We did a tribute to my Dad, and then headed down to the Portal.

I wanted to thank everyone for your support and good wishes!

Steve, thanks! I got your postcard... I am really glad I camped next to you and Brian, and I so appreciated our talk. I am looking forward to when I can make a trip to Tassajara; it sounds wonderful.

Laura, I think my hike might have been very different if it hadn’t been for your encouragement, support, “rescue at Rae Lakes”, foot tape regiment, and just being a very good friend. It doesn’t seem like enough to just say “thank you”…. I hope that someday I will have the opportunity to do something special for you. You have a wonderful heart.

This is already a long post, so I'll just post a link to my pictures for the Hike for Hope - a condensed version; I'll get the 50th anniversary pictures posted pretty soon....

http://rosabella.smugmug.com/Other/2009 ... 0403_YbXwD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

That's an amazing trip Rosie; congratulations to you.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Congratulations on the accomplishment of such an astounding, meaningful, and emotional trip Rosie. :partyman:
jb_aka_marmot
Topix Newbie

Post by jb_aka_marmot »

Congratulations on completing your trek! I met you on the trail as well - on my 3rd day of my first solo hike and 10-day adventure. You were heading up from Woods Creek toward the Rae Lakes area at the time, and I appreciated the pep talk on the solo hike experience. I'll send in the post card you gave me! What a great idea. Must be thrilling to be done!
--Jeanne
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Awesome account, Rosie. Thank you. John Muir said that "between every two pine trees lies a door to a new life". Looks like you found them and they were filled with supportive people.