"A Hike for Hope"... and 50-anniversary Whitney Hike!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jb_aka_marmot
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: "A Hike for Hope"... and 50-anniversary Whitney Hike!

Post by jb_aka_marmot »

Congratulations on completing your trek! I met you on the trail as well - on my 3rd day of my first solo hike and 10-day adventure. You were heading up from Woods Creek toward the Rae Lakes area at the time, and I appreciated the pep talk on the solo hike experience. I'll send in the post card you gave me! What a great idea. Must be thrilling to be done!
--Jeanne
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Awesome account, Rosie. Thank you. John Muir said that "between every two pine trees lies a door to a new life". Looks like you found them and they were filled with supportive people.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments! I’m always sad after a big hike is over. I’m never quite ready for it to be done….especially one so meaningful.

In case anyone is wondering about the references to postcards - I printed postcards with the “Hike for Hope” logo on the front; the back was pretty simple with a couple lines to complete – “I met Rosie at_______________ (location on the trail), a little space for comments, and then lines for the hiker’s name and where they’re from. The cards were self-addressed with postage. I gave them to people that I stopped and talked to on the way. Sometimes it was hard emotionally, but more often it was a wonderful exchange, giving both me and the person/people I talked to an opportunity to tell our stories. People were so supportive, and open about their own experiences.

I’ve been getting cards in, and the comments are so touching. I’ll put an album together with the postcards mixed in with photos from the hike, and will share this with the HIV/AIDS community when we meet next month. They loved Sonny, and it will mean so much to them knowing that people across the country know who they are and heard their story.

Rosie

P.S. Welcome to the board, Jeanne!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Here's pictures from the "50th anniversary hike up Whitney" which we did two days after I finished the Hike for Hope. Eight family members - four of my brothers and three sisters, and I participating in the hike.

Three of the original four from the 1959 trip were there, my sister Therese (age 11 at the time), my brother Ken (age 6), and I was 7 years old. My brother Dan (who was 9) wasn't able to join us this time.

http://rosabella.smugmug.com/Other/50th ... 7464_WrrG8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;