Looking for a Partner or Partners for Backpacking Trip | High Sierra Topix  

Looking for a Partner or Partners for Backpacking Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Looking for a Partner or Partners for Backpacking Trip

Postby rightstar76 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:29 am

I would really like to go backpacking out of Florence or Courtright reservoirs for around 5 to 6 days. My wife she’s great for short trips, but this is a little bit too much for her. I don’t want to go by myself as I don’t feel safe going alone. Also, it can get lonely out there. So I am looking for a partner or partners.

I am in average shape and go at an average pace. An average day for me might be from Courtright Reservoir to the North Fork Kings River (an easy 12 miles because it is mostly flat or downhill). However, it would take me 2 days to go to Red Mountain Basin (a much harder 12 miles) because of the climb and altitude. When it comes to backpacking my attitude is easy does it. If I don’t get there that’s okay and I do enjoy eating.

I had two destinations in mind. My more ambitious destination and a place I’ve always wanted to go to is Lake 10232 in Goddard Creek. This elusive lake is cradled on the north by Goddard Divide, on the east by Ragged Spur and on the west by the Le Conte and White divides. The easiest approach seems to be from Florence Lake, up the South Fork of the San Joaquin River to Goddard Canyon, then up to Martha Lake and over Reinstein Pass. I would go at an easy pace taking 3 days to get there and 2 to get back plus maybe 1 layover day.

Red Mountain or Blackcap and Crown basins are my more practical destinations. I have been to Red Mountain Basin and Bench Valley before, but not Blackcap or Crown. If I were to go to Crown, I would want to go over Mantle Pass to Blue Canyon. That would also take 3 days to get there and 2 to get back.

I am pretty flexible as far as time is concerned. I could go sometime between the end of July through August, and even as late as the first half of September though the days start getting short and cold then. This would be a great trip for anyone who has always wanted to visit an out of the way place but wanted to go at a slower pace without the pressure to get there.

If you are interested, send me a private message or post here. I look forward to hearing from you!

Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping