Overnight ideas near Whitney Portal

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Overnight ideas near Whitney Portal

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I have plans to do Whitney starting on the 20th of this month with some friends. The plan was to go to White Mountain the weekend before to acclimate to the elevation. Unfortunately, my truck is having issues so I will have to take the Miata :D . As it obviously will not make it up beyond Barcroft Station, I find myself needing to make solo plans.

I am considering Cottonwood Lakes as there is a good road to it and it is a short easy hike. However, I am going to have to get a same-day permit so was wondering if you all have any suggestions for alternate THs.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
trav867
Topix Regular

Re: Overnight ideas near Whitney Portal

Post by trav867 »

You shouldn't have any problem getting a permit for Cottonwood the day of your hike, and there are lots of options out of Horseshoe Meadows. Another option would be Onion Valley and camp on either side of Kearsarge depending on how much of a workout you're looking for.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Overnight ideas near Whitney Portal

Post by cgundersen »

MM,
How many nights are you planning to stay out? If it's just a 1 nighter, anything in the Cottonwood basin, as Trav mentioned is good. Or, the jump up to Meysan Lake is nice, too (and, that'll put you up on the Portal Road, anyway). Or, if you want a longer climb, try Shepherds Pass (with Anvil camp as a plan B if you don't reach the top).
CG