Bears and canisters

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
vaughnm
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Bears and canisters

Post by vaughnm »

Richlong8 said
" The other trick is once I have it packed, and it doesn't seem like there is enough room, I compress the contents by banging the bottom of the can on the ground, or living room carpet, before I leave, and this settles the contents down further, so I can fit everything in. I am no expert, but it works for me, the canister is very sturdy, and in not danger of breaking by banging it..."

I had two Bear Vaults, used them for about 4 years total of about 40 days on the trail, and both of them cracked. Came back from one trip and one of them had split across the bottom. The other one has a series of tiny cracks all on the bottom edge. Looks like a cracked windshield.
So, I bought a Bearikade.

Mike
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

Wow, thanks for the heads-up, I probably have that many days, or a few more on mine. I will keep an eye on it. those things are not cheap. I am using the large size one, weighs about three pounds. I don't remember the model #. I think I have read they had some quality issues with the smaller one.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

I was rudely surprised by fish being eliminated by the NPS in LeConte Canyon to save the frog,
For clarification, this is a bit misleading. Frog habitat is being restored -- and fish removed -- only in a side lake basin of maybe 4 lakes, above 10,800 feet or so in Upper LeConte Canyon, west of the JMT. Lots of fishies on the JMT itself.

http://sierranaturenotes.com/naturenotes/StekelMYF1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

This is what seems to be the case, that it was only the upper part, {above the waterfall?}... I am now finding out from this forum. Thanks to all!
But its not what I was told by those working on the project the day I was there, a couple of summers ago, and the ranger at the bottom of LeConte gave the same information, that they are "removing all the fish, until you get to the area where the Bishop Pass trail intersects the Muir Trail"..... which now appears to have been misinformation. It could have been ignorance on the ranger's part, he seemed like a nice guy, who directed us to some good holes downstream of Dusy Creek confluence with the Kings, but obviously, it was deliberate misinformation on the part of those killing fish in the upper canyon. Why would they do such a thing if their motives and mission are pure? I can't say, its their problem,isn't it, but they initiated the conversation with my partner, and I, and we took it at face value, and we knew nothing about the frog projects until that moment. I know about it now, and I keep close tabs on where the work is happening, or scheduled to be happening, in planning my trips.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Ok, back to the original topic. Please reserve the frog/fish talk for the threads dedicated to that discussion.

Thank you. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix