shortcut to Lake South America

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: shortcut to Lake South America

Post by quentinc »

I have a guidebook that says to stay to the right while descending those shelves, for what that's worth.

CG -- sorry, no I was thinking of crossing the ridge south of Cal Tech.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Markorr,
From the latest webcam images, you should be hitting nice weather; I'll look forward to a trip report!
My other purpose in this note is that I found a likely explanation for those amazing tree remnants on the traverse between Lake SA and the JMT. In a webpage by Tom Killion, he alludes to foxtail pines and the propensity of past forests of these trees to leave remains scattered in unexpected high elevation locales in the Sierras. Here's the bit I copied from Tom's webpage:

Foxtails are cousins of the better-known bristlecones, the oldest living trees, which inhabit the White Mountains just a score or so miles due east of the Kaweah range. Some foxtails are estimated to live up to 2,500 years, and core samples from fallen logs have been dated to over 4,000 years ago. Unlike bristlecones, the foxtails form real high altitude forests on the plateaus of the Southern Sierra above 9,000 feet, while "ghost forests" of long-dead foxtails, dating from warmer eras in the distant past, cling to rock slopes and ridges in places up to almost 12,000 feet. With their huge trunks, worn by centuries of wind-driven ice to a glowing golden color, the foxtails are by far the largest and most impressive living things in their high altitude environment.

CG

I thought it was a pretty informative and eloquent passage...
Joemorton85
Topix Novice

Post by Joemorton85 »

Is this the spot I should shoot for? Also, what elevation would you recommend I leave the Forester Pass trail?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Joemorton85 wrote:Is this the spot I should shoot for? Also, what elevation would you recommend I leave the Forester Pass trail?
Whether this is your best option depends on a number of factors, including how fast you go over very steep off trail terrain. I do a lot of off trail backpacking, but I'm pretty sure I'd take less time hiking around the south end of the ridge, crossing at about elevation 3660-3680 m, than going over the steep high saddle even though the former route is longer. If I wanted to go over the saddle, I'd leave the JMT pretty far north and high to optimize the advantages of the route. You'd aim to traverse to the lake at 3780+ m elev. then traverse at about 3800 m elev to hit one of the chutes headed up to the saddle.

Note that if fishing is a priority on your trip there are some reasons for going all the way down to the trail junction rather than "cutting the corner" to LSA. These reasons would be enough for me not to cut the corner.

On another note, bumping this thread back to the front reminds me and other old timers here of Larry (quentinc) and how much we miss him. He was a very special spirit.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

I agree with Giant Brookie about going around the south end of the ridge. On two different trips I've cut over to the JMT from the small lake on the trail south of Lake South America. It was easy and fun, a pleasant walk to the JMT. I assume it would be the same from the other direction. From the small lake, hiking up the trail to Lake South America is a typical trail climb, nothing difficult. Also (I've said this before) I prefer camping at almost any one of the unnamed lakes scattered around the Upper Kern to Lake South America.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

I'd be amazed if climbing that ridge is faster than just going around. I'd cut off the JMT around 3700m on the map, and then drop into the valley to take the Lake South America trail. Traversing the boulder field off trail would be slower than losing a little elevation and having a clean trail.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I agree with Giantbrookie on both counts
1) Going around the southern ridge is likely faster even though a bit longer
2) I miss Larry
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

1) Going around the southern ridge is likely faster even though a bit longer
:thumbsup:
2) I miss Larry
:tear:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Joemorton85
Topix Novice

Post by Joemorton85 »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated!!
This is going to be part of my Roads end>Forester Pass>Colby Pass>Avalanche Pass hike (7 days/6 nights)
Just wanted to mix a tiny bit of cross country into the adventure. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back mid August.