3 Day Trip Ideas?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

3 Day Trip Ideas?

Post by quentinc »

I'm trying to come up with a 3 day trip idea for next weekend, with my main obstacle being the slow-melting snow (I was shocked, last weekend, to find New Army Pass to be
an Impasse -- had to turn around and go out the way I came in over Cottonwood Pass). I was particularly interested in suggested trips out of Sequoia, since I've never done one (just hiked Alta Peak once). I want to stay in the southern part of the range, and have pretty much done everything I can imagine on the Eastern side, as well as Mineral King and out of Florence and Edison.

I'd like to go about 15 miles/day, either a loop or out and back (out and back could be one day each way if there's a good, hard day hike for a layover day). Not interested in fishing. Off-trail is fine; my only limitation is no major snow travel, which is why I thought the lower west side would be a good bet.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: 3 Day Trip Ideas?

Post by balzaccom »

WE'e always loved the entry by Mitchell Peak---you can go over Marvin pass there into the Sugarloaf area, or head south into the Jennie Lakes area.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Q,
I think you may be hard pressed to get anywhere without running into some snow (photos accompanying my post on Kaweah basin from an early June trip will give an idea; however, the melt rate was impressive, so it should be clearing fast). One nice, challenging loop would be to go from Crescent meadow and head for Lonely Lake (off the Elizabeth Pass trail). Next day over Horn col (East side of Lonely) and across the upper Deadman basin to Secor's Coppermine pass into Cloud Canyon heading for Glacier Lake (and, the tiny lake at the top of Cloud canyon is nice, too). If conditions are good, or you're really ambitious, you could go over Triple Divide Pass into the upper reaches of the Kern-Kaweah basin (and then head back via Pants Pass where I'm sure you'd hit lots of snow). Otherwise, from Glacier you can loop back to Lion Lake and head for somewhere on the Tablelands (even Moose Lake) or make it an easy day and stay at Tamarack. I've done all of those passes fairly recently and Coppermine is a bit of a grunt, but everything else is straightforward. Another obvious alternative is to do the Bubbs- East Lake-Reflection Lake, Longley Pass, Sphinx Lake loop out of Cedar Grove, but the real crux there will be high water in Bubbs Creek. Thirdly, the schlep up to Grouse Lake (Copper Creek trail) from Cedar grove provides tons of off-trail possibilities on the Monarch Divide. Virtually all of the ridges in the direction of Marion Lakes basin are "doable" and afford splendid views (and, because they're a bit lower. may have less snow).
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Are we talking 2 or 3 nights Q?
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to check them out on the map.

Mav -- it would be 2 nights/3 days. Also, I don't mind running into some snow, just so long as I don't need ice axe skills to get over a pass.

(By the way, I have the Kaweah Basin/Pants Pass on my immediate radar, but for a trip when I'll have more than 3 days.)
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Not sure how the snow level is up there currently, but look into tablelands. Take the Pear Lake trail then follow Table Creek x-country. Incredible views. Its high in elevation so there is probably still snow, but it is south facing and most of the slopes are gradual.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

How about Sunset Meadow to Seville Lake - xcountry to Lost lake via Sheep Camp Lake
then over Silliman to Twin Lakes - Back to trailhead via JO Pass
Seville, Upper Sheep Camp, and Lost Lakes are very pretty.

Wolverton to Tablelands (Moose Lake) - Over Pterodactyl Pass and down to the
Buck Canyon area via HST(or you can stay at Bearpaw if there are not a lot of people)
Back to trailhead via Mehrten Meadow

Roads End to Grouse Lake - Granite Lake via Grouse Lake Pass - back down to the
trailhead

Roads End to Junction Meadow - Over Bubb's Creek to East Lake - Back to trailhead

Cedar Grove to Frypan Meadow - Over Kennedy Pass to Kennedy Lakes - Back to
trailhead
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks, some great suggestions! I'm particularly looking into the Tablelands route.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I was up on Atla Peak last Tuesday. There was quite bit of snow between Alta Peak and Pear lake, but towards Moose lake and the Tablelands it looked pretty clear. Here is a shot of Alta Meadow. The weather was not very good for photography but it will give you an idea. Image

The rest of the shots are here. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/573363963NbkCsL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Quentinc, would new Army be passable with snowshoes or crampons?