(Long Delayed) Trip Report -- August 2008 -- Miter Basin etc

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

(Long Delayed) Trip Report -- August 2008 -- Miter Basin etc

Post by Mike M. »

It's early in the season and I'm yearning for the high country. I won't be able to get up there this year until August, so I find myself daydreaming about last year's 14 day hike. It was my son Andrew's first real backpacking experience. We were hiking with my brother Van, who flew into Reno from North Carolina. Andrew and I drove down from Portland, picked Van up at the Reno airport on August 17, then high-tailed it to Bishop to pick up our wilderness permit. We camped that night at the trailhead. Our plan was to hike in from Horseshoe Meadow, over New Army Pass, down to Rock Creek, up Miter Basin and over Crabtree Pass, then loop around into Kaweah Basin, over Colby Pass, over Longley Pass, over Harrison Pass, down to Tyndall Creek, up to Wallace Lakes, then out via Russell-Carillon Col and Whitney Portal. I favor long, "immersive" backpacking trips, which give me time to get rid of the city crud and savor the wilderness.

With 14 days of food on our backs, we took it easy the first few days. I wanted to make sure Andrew had a great experience, and we went to great lengths to keep his pack weight down to less than 30 pounds. He was carrying my antique North Face external frame pack, a veteran of many, many expeditions. Brother Van, as always, carried lots of camera gear and a bounty of delicious meals, which translated into a very heavy pack -- close to 70 lbs. My food and gear was much more spartan, weighing in at less than 50 pounds.

Here we are at the trailhead:

On the 19th we hiked into Cottonwood Lakes and found the place to ourselves. Here are some photos of the area:

On the 20th, we hiked over New Army Pass and then down to Soldier Lakes. The weather was perfect. This was Andrew's first High Sierra Pass.

Soldier Lake

The next day we hiked over the ridge separating Soldier Lake from Rock Creek, then headed up to Miter Basin. This is one of my favorite spots in the Sierras.

We camped at Sky Blue Lake.

After dark, we watched a group of hikers making there way down from Crabtree Pass, their headlamps showing their progress. They got stuck briefly in the cliffs above Sky Blue Lake, but eventually made it down to the side of the lake opposite us, and made their camp there.

The next morning, the 22nd, we headed up to Crabtree Pass. It was another crystal clear morning and we felt like a million dollars.

A water break on the way up, looking back at Sky Blue Lake:

Working our way up to Crabtree Pass:

. . . and finally, on top of the pass.

The northern side of the pass is steep and loose, but hikers over the years have established what amounts to a series of loosely connected switchbacks, making the way down fairly easy.

Here is what the pass looks like from the highest of the Crabtree Lakes, with the yellow line pointing to the pass itself:

We camped just above the middle Crabtree Lake. A thunderstorm was brewing, but we only got a few sprinkles and then a beautiful light show.

The clouds lifted, and like always, we slept out in the open and woke up to an exquisite morning.

Saturday the 23rd was a long day by our standards, as we headed down to Crabtree Meadow, hooking up with the John Muir Trail and making our way to the Wallace Creek junction, then down to Junction Meadow. By days end, we were pooped and our knees were sore.

Whitney junction:

Looking across the Kern trench to the Kaweahs:

Tomorrow's destination:

On Sunday the 24th, we crossed the river (water was low and the crossing was easy) and headed up the Colby Pass Trail.

We walked a little ways beyond Rockslide Lake, then crossed the creek and worked our way up the steep shoulder of Picket Guard Peak.

Finally, we reached the bench overlooking Picket Guard lake:

This lake has a terrific campsite and is very photogenic.

Time for a swim!

Then a storm brewed up . . .

Followed by some alpenglow . . .

Part Two to follow -- into Kaweah Basin
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Re: (Long Delayed) Trip Report -- August 2008 -- Miter Basin etc

Post by copeg »

Certainly is delayed...but better late than never!!! Sweeet. "Picket Guard Lake" has gotta be ranked up there as one of my favorite lakes. Looking forward to part II
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Wow, what a trip. I'm slowing working the country over down south.
Piece of cake.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Great report and I really enjoyed the photos!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Excellent report, and amazing pics. Sounds like Andrew had a great adventure for his first trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and the pic's.
Don't you just love Picket Creek Lake with its perfect camping under the trees, perfect
size swimming hole, and the views toward the Whitney area are to die for.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Mike,
The rainbow hitting Picket Guard Lake is great. I'm impressed that you can still drag 14 days worth of vittles into the backcountry. My wife & I cannot fit more than ~12 days worth of food (let alone lip balm and sunscreen) into our two Bearikades, and even if we could, I doubt I could carry much more than that. Still, I'm with you on the benefits of long stints in the backcountry. If it takes you that long to purge Portland, imagine us poor slobs from LALAland.
CG
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

CG -- I have the packing down to a science. I do not take freeze dried food, but instead buy everything at the grocery store and then repackage it in plastic bags with metal ties. Dinners are noodle dishes like macaroni & cheeze, noodles romanoff, hearty soups, top ramen, etc. Breakfasts are fig bars and instant breakfast mixes. (I take a lot of dried milk.) Lunches consist of trail mix, cheese, crackers, salamie, beef jerky, etc. I also take lots of lemonade mix. The other secret is to avoid unnecessary equipment. I have a 4 lb. down sleeping bag good for zero degrees; a very lightweight poncho (8 ounces); a closed cell sleeping pad that weighs much less than the heavy and often unreliable Thermarest type; an old Kelty external frame pack (a behemoth!) that weighs less then most internal frame packs and can pack a big load comfortably; and an MSR PocketRocket stove that weighs less than 4 ounces (full fuel canisters weigh 8 oz; I use about 1 1/2 canisters every 14 days). I also have a mid capacity Bearicade which honestly can hold only a few days food. I would have to pack three bear canisters to hold everything and that is not realistic. Finally, I only carry a plastic tube tent, which over the years has proven more then adequate in even the most foul Sierra weather. The tube tent weighs in just under one pound. I rarely have to use it, preferring to sleep out in the open if I can.

In the old days, when I had more free time, I would regularly take off with 21 days food on my back. The most I ever carried was 25 days -- that was one heavy pack!

Mike
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Mike,
My wife won't go sans tent (but she also prefers early/late season when the risk of serious storms is higher than August). But on rare solos, or when I take trips with "the boys" it's au naturel and the weight savings is decisive. Still, I think that we'd have to do some serious shimmying to get more than 12 days worth of food/cosmetics into the bear cans. However, you've certainly given me a target!
CG
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

cgundersen wrote:Hi Mike,
Still, I think that we'd have to do some serious shimmying to get more than 12 days worth of food/cosmetics into the bear cans. However, you've certainly given me a target!
CG
CG, it's easy.
Mike M. wrote:CG -- I have the packing down to a science... I also have a mid capacity Bearicade which honestly can hold only a few days food. I would have to pack three bear canisters to hold everything and that is not realistic.
Mike

All you have to do is ignore regulations.

I can easily pack 9 days worth of food into a BV500 and I could go to 11 without the 750ML of 151 (though I would not want to). To go without using a canister in our part of the Sierra is taking a large risk that you will both loose your food and get a very large fine. "Violations of any of these laws can result in fines of up to $5000 and six months imprisonment." (SEKI's Minimum Impact Regulations http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/camp_bc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and from Yossemite's site http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, "Improper food storage and feeding of wildlife may result in a fine (up to $5,000)."

It does not seem worth the risk to me.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.