easyish trip from west side seki; alta medows?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: easyish trip from west side seki; alta medows?

Post by AlmostThere »

The hike to Alta meadow/peak can be made less strenuous easily - when you get to Mehrton Meadows there are established camp sites and a stream. If you are pooped, this is a good place to set up for the night. The next day you can go on to Alta.

The established trail will end at Alta meadow - if you look to the immediate right there is a large campsite with fire ring. If you continue down the ridge there will be ample flat spots for tents just off the meadow, which is good because much of the meadow itself is a bog. There is a spring/stream that crosses the trail on the way in that is the best water source for this area.

While I was camped at Alta last fall (August) there was fresh bear scat and one of the trees from which I suspended my hammock had scratches on it. I did not see a bear, however, and nothing disturbed my bear can.

If you choose to go to Pear Lake, be aware that it's against regulations to camp at some of the lakes.

A great moderate loop is the Jennie Lakes Wilderness - taken at a leisurely pace, this is a great easy trip with two lakes to stop at.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: easyish trip from west side seki; alta medows?

Post by SSSdave »

21 years ago on my first day out of Wolverton, instead of taking the usual trail towards Hamilton Lakes, I chose a first night at Alta Meadows because I thought the views east might be good. After arriving at the east end of those meadows, I explored for a camp spot into the nearby tall red fir forest and guess what? Rousted three big black bears that were having fun climbing up trees. They dropped like rocks to the ground and ran off. Made me a bit spooked looking for a spot in "bear meadows" and ended up camping atop some rocks on a nose out in the canyon where I wouldn't be waking up to glowing eyes in the dark. The next morning I made like tarzan descending very steep heavily treed slopes to the trail far below. A route NOT recommended.

In Shawn's pic the flat area upper left in the background between the trees is the big flat just above my 9650 bench where the miners once lived.