tenayah lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: tenayah lake

Post by The Other Tom »

don norton wrote:
adam wrote:one place kinda near the lake you could camp is mildred lake-- easy and nice cross country from the downstream end of the lake (west, I guess). I dont' know if that's on your route or helpful, though.
Adam how far is this from Tuolumne Meadows I have to be at the P O by 12:00. Let me explaine I am starting at Happly Isles on Wedenesday, 2 Night at Tenayah Lake and was planning on camping around G A Friday night and getting started early Saturday in order to pickup food cache at Tuolumne. f I don't get there before they close I will have to camp there until Monday. Any advise you can give me will be much appreciated.
OK, Don, will this work ?
start at Happy Isles. Fist night at ?? (maybe sunrise creek, maybe all the way to Long Meadow/Sunrise HSC)
2nd night at May Lake
3rd night at GA (you can camp at GA, no problem). See this thread for GA options:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

The Other Tom wrote:
don norton wrote:
adam wrote:one place kinda near the lake you could camp is mildred lake-- easy and nice cross country from the downstream end of the lake (west, I guess). I dont' know if that's on your route or helpful, though.
Adam how far is this from Tuolumne Meadows I have to be at the P O by 12:00. Let me explaine I am starting at Happly Isles on Wedenesday, 2 Night at Tenayah Lake and was planning on camping around G A Friday night and getting started early Saturday in order to pickup food cache at Tuolumne. f I don't get there before they close I will have to camp there until Monday. Any advise you can give me will be much appreciated.
OK, Don, will this work ?
start at Happy Isles. Fist night at ?? (maybe sunrise creek, maybe all the way to Long Meadow/Sunrise HSC)
2nd night at May Lake
3rd night at GA (you can camp at GA, no problem). See this thread for GA options:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote
Thanks other tom I did some Google search for California Falls :thumbsup: seems this southern boy will have to pickup pace a little and make it to California Falls and maybe even Waterwheel Falls looks like a must see side trip. Can you suggest any good camping sites pass Donahue Pass heades south on JMT. I thought about Marie lake Area what do you suggest.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

don norton wrote:I have to be at the P O by 12:00. Let me explaine I am starting at Happly Isles on Wedenesday, 2 Night at Tenayah Lake and was planning on camping around G A Friday night and getting started early Saturday in order to pickup food cache at Tuolumne. f I don't get there before they close I will have to camp there until Monday. Any advise you can give me will be much appreciated.
I just called the Tuolumne Post Office last week, and they said it was almost always possible to find a "manager" to get your cache on Saturday afternoon or Sunday. In fact, we're counting on that! So your schedule may be more flexible than you thought.
—B²
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Don,
Regarding campsites south of Donohue:
My son and I camped about a mile or two south of Donohue in a relatively flat area with a few small lakes around. I don't think the area has a specific name, but it's before you get to Rush Creek. Further on, you could stay at Island Pass (beautiful area) or Thousand Island Lake (camping on north (?) side only) or any countless other sites. It's all good.
Regarding waterwheel falls:
We went there in August, and the water level was on the low side, and the falls were unspectacular. Even with higher flow I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm sure others would disagree, but if you have to be back at TM that day, I wouldn't do it.
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

BSquared wrote:
don norton wrote:I have to be at the P O by 12:00. Let me explaine I am starting at Happly Isles on Wedenesday, 2 Night at Tenayah Lake and was planning on camping around G A Friday night and getting started early Saturday in order to pickup food cache at Tuolumne. f I don't get there before they close I will have to camp there until Monday. Any advise you can give me will be much appreciated.
I just called the Tuolumne Post Office last week, and they said it was almost always possible to find a "manager" to get your cache on Saturday afternoon or Sunday. In fact, we're counting on that! So your schedule may be more flexible than you thought.
Thanks BSquare that is great news. Now I think California Falls is in the picture. . How you ever been. I found out about in through my post this site is great many great hikers on here with a lot of great information. I guess you will be starting your JMT trip soon sure wished I was going with you. Who would have ever gussed that I have meet Mark Skor and it would have been neat meeting you. A southern boy from the east coast.
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

The Other Tom wrote:Don,
Regarding campsites south of Donohue:
My son and I camped about a mile or two south of Donohue in a relatively flat area with a few small lakes around. I don't think the area has a specific name, but it's before you get to Rush Creek. Further on, you could stay at Island Pass (beautiful area) or Thousand Island Lake (camping on north (?) side only) or any countless other sites. It's all good.
Regarding waterwheel falls:
We went there in August, and the water level was on the low side, and the falls were unspectacular. Even with higher flow I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm sure others would disagree, but if you have to be back at TM that day, I wouldn't do it.
Is California Fall and Waterwheel Falls the same?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Three distinct falls in a row below Glen Aulin: Le Conte, California, and Waterwheel...
but maybe just one long Cascade running into Hetch Hetchy.
Mountainman who swims with trout
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

markskor wrote:Three distinct falls in a row below Glen Aulin: Le Conte, California, and Waterwheel...
but maybe just one long Cascade running into Hetch Hetchy.
Thanks Mountain man who swims with trouts
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

markskor wrote:Not any more...
The campground there (at Tenaya Lake) was closed in ~92.
Mark just returned from Tenaya. Signs there state you have to be back from lake 100' or 40 paces
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Don, There used to be an established campground at Tenaya...BBQ pits, roads, etc, and all. It was closed a few years ago and disbanded. Now it is just Wilderness I guess...Camp where you want. I am a bit surprised that they still let you camp there now...The old 4 mile rule and all.
Live and learn.
Mountainman who swims with trout