Sierra Trip 6/25-6/29

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
El Gigante
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sierra Trip 6/25-6/29

Post by El Gigante »

My tentative itinerary is as follows:
Drive up to Lone Pine and pickup my permits on Wednesday at 530. Sleep at the trailhead to Cottonwood lakes (or at cottonwood lakes if i can). Climb Mt Langley then camp at Sky Blue Lake on Thursday. Friday hike over to the Wright lakes area and camp. Then Saturday hike up Shepard's Pass Trail from the west to meet up with friends. Sunday summit Williamson. Monday summit Tyndall and out via Shepard's Pass Trail.

Does anyone know about the Wright Lakes area above Bighorn Plateau? Any particularly good camping areas around here? The lakes look to be above 11000 feet and encircled by 14000 foot peaks so i wonder if they might still be completely snowed in? I guess i could always abort to Wallace lake, never been there either. If i remember correctly there is also camping at the small lakes before Tyndall Creek to fall back on. I have been down the JMT through this area before but never ventured off trail.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Sierra Trip 6/25-6/29

Post by cgundersen »

Hi El Gigante,
Better check with the rangers about permit pickup that late; I'm not sure the visitor's center by Lone Pine stays open till 5:30, but I easily could be wrong. Otherwise, be prepared for lots of snow above 11,000 ft (possibly, lower). If you check the photos linked to the TR I posted today (backside of the Kaweahs) you'll see what I mean. The good news is that the snow conditions were some of the best I've hit. We came out on the 14th, and though there has been some sun since then, it's been unsettled up there! Also, see the photos Trav posted earlier from over Memorial day.
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

My guess is that they will probably still be frozen, or have minimal thawing.
I am basing this on Hetchy's picture from Whitney on which Hitchcock Lakes
were all still frozen, except for just the very western end of one of the lakes
showed some thawing on the shoreline.
And from CG pic's you will definitely have a lot of snow at Wallace and Wright Lakes.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

Lakes just below Forester Pass on the south side, June 10

js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

I've been up Shepard's Pass numberous times and swore that I would never do it again. That being said, I have camped at Wright Lakes and Wallace Lake as well. My guess is that you will encounter a fair amount of snow and the lakes will probably be frozen over. Wallace Lake is very high and I am sure it will be iced over until sometime in mid/late July. We have experienced good fishing in all of the lakes in the Wright Lakes basin except for a couple that looked like the trout were removed for the preservation of frogs. Three years ago a friend said the trail going over Shepard's Pass was washed out. I don't know if it has been restored or not. Check with the forest service. If there could be anyway you could postpone your trip for a couple of weeks, I would recommend that you do that.
El Gigante
Topix Novice

Post by El Gigante »

Thanks guys for the information and the pictures. Thing look a bit different up there then the pictures i took last September. Then again that is the reason i wanted to get back up there early this year.

I think i will have to amend my itinerary and camp at lower elevations (or my tent choice as i planned on bringing my SMD refuge). I guess i will see when i get up there.

I do not plan to bring crampons or an ice axe just my sturdy boots to kick a few steps. And probably my running shoes for trail use and stream crossings. Any particularly high ones i should worry about on this route?

I will post a report when i return.