Trip in two weeks!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
flyingsocks
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Trip in two weeks!

Post by flyingsocks »

Hello all,

I have a trip planned into Evolution Basin from Florence Lake in two weeks. We plan to go cross country to loop back through Goddard Canyon to get back to Florence Lake. However, I may have underestimated the amount of snow still around this year. I was hoping for a mostly clear path up until Evolution Lake. Has anyone been through there yet this year? Any thoughts on this route? We don't plan to bring crampons on our trip.

We can still re-route our trip. Anyone have any suggestions for a 5-6 day trip in mid-June. We would like to stay in the Kings Canyon region, but anything within 4-5 hours of San Fran is fine.

Thanks for the help! It is much appreciated!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip in two weeks!

Post by Mike M. »

This sounds like a great time! I do not have a current conditions report to give you, but based on experience, expect to encounter high water in Evolution Valley. The snow melt should be in full force.

Use good judgement when crossing Evolution Creek -- it is best to move upstream from the Muir Trail crossing and instead look for an area where the creek spreads out and is less raging. Water can easily come up to chest height here. I always think it is safest to wear shoes (or your hiking boots with your socks removed) when crossing high water.

You will probably encounter some snow in Evolution Valley and a lot of sun cups once you get as high as Evolution Lake. The sun cups make for difficult, tedious travel but there is no need for crampons -- you just have to gut it out and enjoy the fact that there won't be many other hikers out there with you. The route from Wanda Lake over the ridge into the Davis Lakes basin is is likely to be covered in snow, but it is not steep. You may in fact find many areas in this basin that are already free of snow.

Skeeters will be out in full force in Goddard Canyon.

Have fun and be sure to post a trip report --

Mike
flyingsocks
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip in two weeks!

Post by flyingsocks »

Thanks for the information Mike!

Evolution Creek is a concern, but I'm sure we will have no problem if we tackle it in the morning and with caution.

Glad to hear that you do not think crampons will be needed. I had thought a bit about re-routing, but I would really like to stick with this route. I've never seen Evo Valley and have heard it is quite spectacular!

Ben