Suggested Routes or Areas for me and my dad

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Suggested Routes or Areas for me and my dad

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for the trip report. I've found that nothing goes exactly right when I hike, but you have to make the best of it. Sounds like you did exactly that and had a good time. Good for you !
ltkenbo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by ltkenbo »

Well the photos of our 5 day trip to dinkey lakes are here if anyone wants to look at them:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... cd2e2d4c2d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here are a couple of highlights:

Courtright Reservoir along the trail:

Me in part of helms meadow with a view of dogtooth:

More helms meadow:

Here's that cabin I was talking about near the split to bullfrog lake. Does anyone know anything about it? (Me and my dad pictured):

Courtright boat launch area upon leaving the area:
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

It sounds like you repeated a mistake I made looking for that trail. In our case, we were coming down from Bullfrog and merely continued to follow the creekbed as it intersected with the main trail.

The surefire way to get to Dinkey Lakes loop without that longer trip around to Courtright and up to Cliff is to go to the Willow Creek trailhead off the National Forest road signed for Dinkey Lakes TH, for which you need a high clearance vehicle if you are not very comfortable driving passenger car on a rocky, uneven dirt road. First Dinkey Lake is only 2-3 miles in from that trailhead. Not that you need that info now...

I've had to get into the habit of looking closer at maps. The Dinkey Wilderness map that is generally found is OLD. Upon closer inspection of my version that trail is marked in a different color because it was no longer maintained. We found blazes and signs of others - horseshoe nailed to a tree, an old can - but didn't come across the cabin.

Sounds like you had a good trip regardless. :) Good job. My group is going later in the year - hoping to get some of those blueberries that will be ripe in September.