Memorial Day Horseshoe Meadows loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Memorial Day Horseshoe Meadows loop

Post by trav867 »

Well just like everyone else lately, I need advice regarding Memorial Day trips options. I just realized the gf and I will be able to get away Saturday to Monday. I'd like to leave from Horseshoe Meadows as we've only got two nights and it's so easy to get to from LA.

From Horseshoe, I'm thinking of heading SW to Tunnel Meadows and possibly climbing Kern Peak before heading up to Rocky Basin Lakes, then back over Cottonwood Pass. My only concern about this trip is crossing the south fork Kern in Tunnel Meadow- I don't mind a bit of snow, and we can easily camp well below 10,000ft.

Another, maybe more interesting option would be to go over Cottonwood Pass and head across the Siberian Outpost to Funston Lake, then back via Rocky Basin lakes and Big Whitney meadow.

Any opinions on these route? Better options?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Memorial Day Horseshoe Meadows loop

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Trav,
The couple of times I've gone off toward Rocky Basin Lakes (also in early season) I've just not been that thrilled with the terrain (kinda washed out, though Big Whitney is pretty, and has been passable). For my money, I'h either head toward Cottonwood Lakes or do Cottonwood Pass and head toward Soldier Lakes, but that's just me..... Frankly, I like Chicken Springs Lake better than Rocky Basin Lakes (but the real fun is if you have the time/energy to get into Miter Basin, but that may be pushing it). Regardless, good luck!
CG
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

I would love to head up Miter Basin, but is it a realistic possibility this time of year? Will I freeze at Sky Blue Lake?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Trav,
The earliest I've been into Miter Basin was the first week of June (and it was a heavier snow year than this one). Even though Sky Blue was still mostly a white out the rest of the basin was open and gorgeous. I'd not been to Primrose till a few years back, and if it looks too white up toward Sky Blue, the eastern end of Primrose may be open and it's very nice up there.
CG
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Thanks for the info- Primrose sounds great as I was just at Sky Blue lake last summer anyway- I'm heading out tomorrow morning!