JMT partners, Aug '09, 11 days, southbound

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BendBackpacker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

JMT partners, Aug '09, 11 days, southbound

Post by BendBackpacker »

I am looking for partners to hike the Muir Trail in 11 days starting around August 4th, southbound. This will require covering 20 miles per day. I will have to get a walk-in permit, "day-hiking" from Happy Isles to Tuolumne Meadows if necessary.

This will be my second hike of the JMT. I first completed it in 2004 with my wife in 12 days. Since I spent a lot of time waiting for her to catch up I'm pretty confident I can shave off at least one day, hiking an additional 2 miles per day.

Last time my only resupply was Muir Trail Ranch which worked pretty well. This time I will add resupplies at Tuolumne Meadows and Red's Meadow. Last trip I regretted not traveling lighter on the way to Red's Meadow.
BendBackpacker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: JMT partners, Aug '09, 11 days, southbound

Post by BendBackpacker »

Wow, nobody is interested in joining my trip on three forums. Is it the high daily mileage? I am also open to modifying my plans if necessary. It sure would be great to have some company out there...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: JMT partners, Aug '09, 11 days, southbound

Post by maverick »

Hi BB

First it is hard to get 11 days off for a lot of people, and second
most people all ready have there trips planned out for the season.
Third not to many people enjoy doing higher mileage trips.