Ionian Basin entry

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ionian Basin entry

Post by maverick »

BG Pass would allow you visit you most eastern part of the basin, and is easier than
N Pass because of the large and loose boulders on the upper portions of the eastern
side of the pass, and Lake 11828 has pretty descent camping on its eastern shores.
If your short on time Wanda while give you the quickest exit and hook up with the
JMT.
All are easy class 2's take your pick.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

maverick wrote:Route is good except Nietzsche Pass is on the other(western) side of Mt. Solomons
That's called Nietzsche Pass? How did he get mixed up with all that Greek mythology? Guess I'll have to think about the "will to power" next time I go over it.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

maverick wrote:Route is good except Nietzsche Pass is on the other(western) side of Mt. Solomons
which you ascend up the obvious route on the map from the eastern side of
Lake 11592.
You can also go over Wanda Pass which is located between the "rd" in "Goddard
Divide" on the map you provided.
thanks - that helps quite a bit. I must have read a report that used the eastern pass on Mt Solomon for whatever reason. Wanda Pass probably works best for what I have in mind and it's not as far over to the west as I had thought based on the photos I found.

Peter