I got my JMT permit!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

I got my JMT permit!

Post by Rosabella »

Well, actually I got my reservation for my JMT permit! ;)

I didn't get them for my first choice in dates, though. I had to call on Monday for a permit for the Saturday I was hoping for. I started calling at 8:30 AM and kept hitting redial 'til I finally got through at 8:45 AM. In that amount of time they had already booked for July 29th! I couldn't believe it! Needless to say I was pretty upset, but I was able to get a reservation for Monday, July 31st, and actually it might work out better anyway. :retard: Whew.

PS Markskor, if you're still interested in joining me for a segment, let me know - I'll Email you my itinery. It'd be great to meet you... and I could SURE use some fishing tips :D
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Did you try the JMT last year with your son/daughter or was that somebody else?
wingding

Post by wingding »

What a perfect time to do the JMT - August is my favorite time in the Sierra. Do you have your resupplies all set up?
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

COOL! Do you have any plans to do things much differently this time? How long do you plan on taking? I'm jealous :nod:
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Good memory, Mike... Summer of 2003 I attempted a thru hike (I met Trailblazer on the trail that trip :) ), and you're right, I started out with my son, but he exited the trail early on with some back problems. I ended up skipping a segment when my boots fell apart and I had to replace them in Bishop. Although we've done all the segments a few times, doing a JMT thru-hike was always something my Dad and I wanted to do together. It just never worked out. He's in a nursing home now, but he still loves to hear about my adventures.

Wingding, I think I've got all my resupplies figured out. I'll be using all the easy ones (Red's meadow, Muir Ranch, etc.) but it's the southern half that's troublesome. My parents used to live in Bishop and a friend of theirs offered to bring up a re-supply, I hope that will work out.

Greg, I've got 23 days on the trail and one lay-over day, so my schedule is going to be pretty similar to what it was in 2003 (other than no horse ride this time ;) ). I couldn't do it in two weeks even if I wanted to! :lol:
wingding

Post by wingding »

Rosabella - Let me know if I can help with the southern resupply and I'll try to if I can do the dates.
burtonfm
Topix Acquainted

Post by burtonfm »

Rosabella,

I just got my JMT reservation too - I can hardly wait for summer. Due to food drop logistics, I'm starting from the Mammoth area on Friday the 28th. It appears you'll be behind me by a few days, but I have several lay over days as I want to climb Mt Sill and Split Mt, and spend a few days in the Bench Lake area. So, you may catch up to me.

I have friends lined up to bring in food from Bishop Pass and Keasarge pass. Let me know if you are unable to figure your food drops out, and I'll see if I can have my friends bring in your food. The challenge will be where to store it for a day or two in case you don't catch up to me. Anyway, we may be able to figure something out.
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

Just opened my mail and I too have received my reservation confirmation. Starting from Whitney Portal heading north on July 26th. Looking forward to this one, and hope to finally get to the top of Whitney. Tried in 2003, but got rained out (hailed out would be more like it).
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Hi Burtonfm! I'll be starting from Happy Isles on the 31st. I'll be coming thru Reds Meadow for a resupply on August 4th, so I'm gonna be about a week behing you. I guess it depends on how many lay-over days you take if I catch up with you. I plan on averaging about 10-12 miles a day, so you'll have to take a few ;) .

I'm only taking one lay-over day at Vermillian, just 'cause I really enjoy that place; I still plan on re-supplying at Muir Camp. But.... your offer to re-supply farther south is tempting - I'm not sure if my original resupply plan for the southern half is going to work. I'm probably going to be in the Little Pete Meadow area (for Bishop Pass) on Sunday 8-13, and I'll be in the Kearsare area on Saturday 8-19. If you've got a tentative schedule, let me know if it'll work.

Winding, I also really appreciate the offer, and if Burtonfm's schedule is off from mine, I would be much obliged if you would be available to re-supply still :) .

Vaughnm - This will be great! I'll have someone to watch for coming the other direction :D How long are you planning to take? I'm curious why you chose to go South to North? You said you tried the JMT 2003 (that was the last time I tried... and boy, do I know what you mean about the rain :retard: ) But this year's gonna be great!!
burtonfm
Topix Acquainted

Post by burtonfm »

Rosabella,

Even with my layovers, I estimate I'll be gaining ground on you, so I'll be over a week ahead by the time you're in the Kearsarge area. But, I may be able to bring in food at Bishop pass as I come off the JMT around the time you'll be there. Anyway, I'll double check my dates and send you an email.