information | High Sierra Topix  

information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

information

Postby don norton » Wed May 06, 2009 7:38 pm

I am going to Yosemite this summer and want to know where some good camp site are pass Donahue Pass headed toward 1000 Island Lake. Can one camp around the intersection of the JMT and Marie lakes Trail. Also need to know of any outfitters in Dublin Calif.
(Amador Plaza or vicinity). Thanks

don norton
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Re: information

Postby rightstar76 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:19 am

Sunrise Mountain Sports in Livermore (just east of Dublin) is your best bet. http://www.sunrisemountainsports.com

I once camped on the JMT-PCT a few miles south of Donahue Pass at the tree line. Beautiful view looking east. Don't know if it is still allowed.
rightstar76
Topix Regular

Postby The Other Tom » Thu May 07, 2009 6:17 am

rightstar76 wrote:I once camped on the JMT-PCT a few miles south of Donahue Pass at the tree line. Beautiful view looking east. Don't know if it is still allowed.

+1 on the views looking east. Awesome.
As you descend from Donahue, there is a "basin" with several small lakes. There are several campsites there. My son and I camped there a few years ago. As long as you abide by the rules (100 ft. away from water, etc), you should be fine.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby BSquared » Thu May 07, 2009 6:54 pm

We're planning to camp in that vicinity on our JMT through hike this summer, and it looks like it'll be great. Lots of mossies down lower (by the trail junction to Gem lake, etc.).
—B²
BSquared
Founding Member

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping