Yosemite/Snow Creek trip report + photos

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite/Snow Creek trip report + photos

Post by copeg »

This last Friday I headed up Snow Creek out of Yosemite Valley. Friday night I camped on the valley rim. All afternoon there were thundering claps as avalanche after avalanche came down off half dome and the ridges across the valley. It was quite a windy night where I camped friday. Saturday I skied up to Tenaya Lake (bypassing Olmsted Point due to avalanche hazards) where I camped that night. Sunday made for a long day as I skied and hiked back down to the valley floor. Saw some fresh bear tracks across my skin track from the day before near May Lake area. Didn't see anyone from Friday night until late Sunday afternoon.

Some teasers...

Sunset off half dome

Tenaya Lake

More photos are posted here...
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Hikin Mike »

Great photos! For some reason I really like the picture of highway 120. I guess it's cool to see it all snow-covered!

One thing about your site. Those "thumbnail" images are no smaller in file size than the originals. They are just physically smaller, which does nothing to speed up the download. You might want to make the thumbnail's file size much smaller (~10-30K)
yosemitechris
Founding Member

Post by yosemitechris »

Enjoyed your photos, Trailblazer.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Hikin Mike wrote:Great photos! For some reason I really like the picture of highway 120. I guess it's cool to see it all snow-covered!

One thing about your site. Those "thumbnail" images are no smaller in file size than the originals. They are just physically smaller, which does nothing to speed up the download. You might want to make the thumbnail's file size much smaller (~10-30K)
Thanks Mike!
I've been so spoiled with high speed internet recently, that I forget about things like download times ;) I made the thumbnails for that webpage into smaller gif's which should help...as for the rest of the site - it needs a serious overhaul soon whenever I get a chance...
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Thanks! Great pics. You've inspired me to finally get that trip into Ranger Lakes here locally I've been procrastinating on all winter.

I was in Yosemite yesterday on buisness and was suprised at the lack of snow even in the Badger area. We have more snow down here in SEKI.

Waterfalls are running high for this time of year. And warm, warm, warm in the valley!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

trailblazer wrote:
Thanks Mike!
I've been so spoiled with high speed internet recently, that I forget about things like download times ;) I made the thumbnails for that webpage into smaller gif's which should help...as for the rest of the site - it needs a serious overhaul soon whenever I get a chance...
I'm on DSL too, but it still took a few extra seconds to load! Looks good!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Beautiful shots. Makes me long for Yosemite
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thanks for the pics. All that way to get there over snow and you camp on dirt?:)
Piece of cake.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Beautiful photos!
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Looks like another great full moon trip. Beautiful images, are these with the new camera?