Late May trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brian
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Late May trip

Post by brian »

I'm planning a trip the last week in May: 4 nights, 5 days. I am really itching to do a beautiful loop in Kings Canyon or Sequoia, or an up-and-back route if it were worth it. I would love to explore Evolution Valley. I've only been to Desolation so far in the Sierra, and I'm unaware of what late spring conditions are like. We'd like to average about 8 miles / day, and do not plan to bring snow shoes.

Is this too early for this part of the high Sierra?
I don't mind walking over some snow, but I'd rather pitch my tent on dry ground.
Are there loads of bugs then? (had to ask a "wussy" question)
Other ideas of a trip at this time, if it's likely to be too snowy?

Conditions on JMT say almost entirely "winter conditions exist", but I don't get a sense for what it'll be like in 3 weeks. Thanks in advance.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Late May trip

Post by oldranger »

A lolipop route out of Sunset Meadow into Seville, Lost, Ranger Lakes would work just fine this year.
Remember, though, that 6 inches of snow can still fall in late May and I have experienced days in that area on Memorial Day weekend where temp did not get above freezing. On the other hand most of the time it is really nice. Just be prepared

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Brian

I'll second OR's trip recommendation.
Seville, and especially Lost Lakes are gorgeous, all have bear boxes which eliminates
having to carry a bear canister.
The higher elevation trips are still to early to access, especially if you do not want snow.
You could also go to Paradise Valley and see how far you could get on the Rae Lake
Loop Trail, probably some where up towards Woods Creek junction before you would
get snow.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Brian,
Without firsthand reports of snow this year, I'm just guessing, but I'd second Mav's suggestion about the Rae Lakes loop. It could be wild up over Glen Pass, but if you time it right, hey? Anyway, about 6 years ago I did a fabulous 5 day loop over Kaweah gap and back out via Lion/Tamarack Lake and up to Moose and back out to Crescent Meadow on Memorial day weekend. Yes, lots of time on snow, but plenty of dry ground up to 10,500ft for camping. I'm guessing that the snow is less this year than when I went, so there are options. Good luck1
CG