Conditions on JMT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Conditions on JMT

Post by js hill »

On July 5th we are going over Kearsage pass and heading north on the JMT and coming out over Piute Pass. Does anybody have an idea/inkling as to what the trail conditions may be like? I'm talking mainly about snow and or ice. I've talked to a couple of rangers and they've said that this winter has shaped up to be pretty close to normal in terms of snowpack. I'm hoping that we are not leaving too soon but this is the only time I have for a vacation. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Conditions on JMT

Post by maverick »

Go to the link below, then click on "trail conditions" and then "Central California"
from there click on "section H" to get updates by PCTer's passing thru that section
of the PCT/JMT.
It is to early, but by mid June you should see some updates.
Also check back here to see if anyone has any trip reports that could be helpful.
http://www.pcta.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also check SEKI's site for trail condition updates: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions on JMT

Post by gdurkee »

With any luck, rangers should be into Sequoia Kings stations by mid-June this year. So updates should start showing on the NPS site by the week of June 20th or so.

Have a great hike.

George