Conness Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Andrew Skibo
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Conness Lakes

Post by Andrew Skibo »

Huell Howser just did a show on Conness Lakes and I am raring to go -- when the snow is gone of course. My topo maps show a trail from the end of Saddlebag Lake, partway around the southern shore of Greenstone Lake. Then it seems that I look at my GPS and hope for the best.

Any advice would be most appreciated. I have done the loop around the 20 Lakes Basin a few times, but never this particular side trip.

Bill
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Conness Lakes

Post by ERIC »

Pretty dorky, but spent some time talking to Huell and snapped a photo of the two of us when he did the Hanford show. Surprisingly (or not), he acts the same off camera as he does on camera. :p
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Conness Lakes are pretty. I'm not sure they necessarily more special than other high lakes in the area, but their setting below the NE face of Mt. Conness is quite alpine and they are quite easy to reach, so as long as one is accustomed to easy off trail travel. Remember that GPS alone won't help you navigate off trail; you'll need to read a topo map too for optimal safety and have a sense of finding the best route over mixed terrain. The route to Conness Lakes from Greenstone is very easy: class 1 off trail. There are a few places where there are some thickets of low pines and a couple of low steep spots where you look for breaks in the slope for the easiest way up. For the most part, you stay rather close to the creek that drains the Conness Lakes (and flows into Greenstone Lake). There are little use trails here and there from hikers going to the lakes and you end up following them a fair part of the way to the lakes. With off trail experience this is a very easy and pleasant off trail route.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

GB is right on, just use the creek as your guide from lake to lake.