How do you plan your trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How do you plan your trip?

Post by rlown »

Wow. Almost sorry i started this topic. Sounds like there are two camps. Wingers and Technogeeks. It's obvious we all plan with various toolsets. I've got about 1" of topos under my bed (tattered, highlighted and even with compass triangulation line of site scribbles on them for the peaks), but i've found some of the mapset PC tools very helpful during the planning process.

I've been lost in the trees 3 times in my experiences and in whiteouts at least twice, and i find the GPS as an added safety measure. As i've mentioned previously, my radio is also part of my GPS unit, as that adds additional assurance if members of our group become separated.

I program my GPS with various waypoints which might be secondary trip options in case we change our minds mid-trip.

All the input has been great, btw. It's obvious there are many ways to plan and execute trips. I find the leads from HST one of the best.

Regards,

Russ