Need help planning trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mpdillon
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Need help planning trip

Post by mpdillon »

First, thank you to everyone who contributed. I have spent a lot of time over the last few days reading trail descriptions for your suggestions.

I think we have settled on the Agnes Meadows starting point. I like the gradual altitude increases and it sounds like we have options for getting some very remote areas. We will fly from Philly to Reno and rent a car($325 for 2 weeks) for the 4 hr ride south. I have ordered High Sierra John Muir’s Range of Light.

I have downloaded the following 7.5 min topos to study. Does anyone know if these are the right ones?
Mammoth Mtn, Old Mammoth, Crystal Crag and Bloody Mtn.

This leads me to my next set of questions which are a bit more specific.

Snow cover vs. skeeters. We are thinking of the end of June or it could be beginning of August. In the area around Mammoth Lakes what is the worst time for skeeters? If there is still snow in the passes, can it be crossed with snow shoes or would we need crampons, ice axes and rope? Does more snow = less skeeters?

Supplies: Since we are flying in I am planning on buying fuel once we have landed. Are there any good outdoor supply stores between Reno and Mammoth Lakes?

Permits: I assume permits are required this time of year. Are they hard to get? How early can I apply? Who do I contact to procure them?

Accommodations: We will probably want to spend the first night not on the trail. Any suggestions for Motels, B&B or other in the vicinity of Mammoth Lakes?

Finally, stay tuned. I will have one more post regarding Yosemite. The other item on our “must do” list is to ascend the back side of Half Dome. Eddie saw a pic and declared, “we have to do that”. But I will start a separate thread for those questions.

Thanks again to everyone,

Pat

FYI

Here is a breakdown of air fare, air time and Drive time to Bishop for any other East coasters who might stumble by.
From Philadelphia
Destination Rate Flight time Drive to Bishop
San Francisco 225 8 Hrs 7 hrs
Reno 248 8 hrs 4 hrs(Mammoth lakes less)
Fresno 347 8 hrs 5.75
Sacramento 245 8.5 hrs 5.5 hrs
Las Vegas 240 6.5 hrs 5.25

Couldn't figure out how to tabularize the above data. Sorry.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Here is the web site that will give you the all official information for you trip.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/
The whole time period between the end of June to Aug is skeeter season
so just come prepared.
Which route were you planning on doing so I can better help you, though you'll
find info on ranger stations, trailheads, and routes in the book you ordered.
If your interested in climbing Ritter(class 2) from Catherine Lake than a ice axe maybe
a good idea, but if your surefooted than hiking poles will be just fine, just
ascend later in the day.
You'll have a lot more people in Aug though less off-trail.
This is also a bear problem area so carry a bear canister.
There are people who live in Mammoth on this site who can chime in on the lodging
and resupply options much better than I can.
mpdillon
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by mpdillon »

maverick, I hope to firm up the exact trail this weekend. But it is Fri nite and there is a lonely bar stool at the local watering hole that needs some company.