Large planning maps of the entire range

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
patmegowan
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Large planning maps of the entire range

Post by patmegowan »

I am planning a multi-month walk covering the Sierras from top to bottom, and it would be ideal to have some large maps that cover big swaths in one picture to hang on the wall to ponder, annotate, estimate, and so forth. Do you have favorites? Bonus points if they are shaded relief, have good trail coverage, etc. I love Tom Harrison's maps, but the ones I have seen are pretty small.

Thanks!
el cuervo

Re: Large planning maps of the entire range

Post by el cuervo »

THere is an outstanding topo of SEKI (sequoia kings Nat Parks) that also comes in a shaded relief version.

I think they are 1:100,000 scale or thereabouts. I am moving and all is in flux, so I cannot drag them out and tell you what they are called.

I use them (and Google Earth) to plan trips.

Check here:
http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/forms/natl-parks.html

I think the ones I am talking about are stock # CA 2270 or thereabouts, though mine are not plastic, just big flat sheets, maybe 3' x 3.5'
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I have a two piece set, with North, South and Central sections of most of the Sierra. I got it years ago thru a nonprofit group, selling USFS maps. Goes from Little Kern Lake in the south to Devils Postpile in the north, not the entire Sierra like I was led to believe at the time. It is called John Muir Wilderness, Inyo and Sierra National Forests, National Parks Backcountry, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks California. Each map is 36" X 48". Nice. I was exploring places to get a map of my first trip way down south, on the east side and came across them thru the FS I believe.
Piece of cake.
hikehigh
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by hikehigh »

I have seen them at the Eastern Sierra Inter Agency Center in Lone Pine. I don't remember who it is made by.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

The USGS 30' x 60' scale topo maps are great for this purpose. You can look at them online at http://www.atlas.ca.gov/download.html (but the navigation is a bit tricky) or order them from USGS at http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/disp ... 01866)/.do. The maps you want for the Sierra from Yosemite to Whitney are "Yosemite Valley," "Shaver Lake," "Bishop," and "Mt. Whitney."

-B²