Questions about planned summer trip (darwin/evolution/mcgee)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cbert
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Q@ (darwin/evolution/mcgee) - hey giantbrookie

Post by cbert »

upstream of Sapphire as in on the trail (lake 11293) or as in West of Sapphire up in a little bowl under Mts Spencer, Fiske & Huxley (no number even on my map)?

I'm going up via Bishop Pass & out Lamark Col mid July - couple spots still available actually.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Q@ (darwin/evolution/mcgee) - hey giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

cbert wrote:upstream of Sapphire as in on the trail (lake 11293) or as in West of Sapphire up in a little bowl under Mts Spencer, Fiske & Huxley (no number even on my map)?
Upstream along the trail.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Re: Questions about planned summer trip (darwin/evolution/mcgee)

Post by mokelumnekid »

Maybe it is just me (folks on this forum are terrific but for my money sometimes a bit too cautious about these estimates- so I will be the reckless soul who endorses the go-for-it vibe), but I see no problem going North Lake over Lamark Col and to Darwin Bench in a day, I've done it a few times and with an early start and the usual common sense it should be okay. The route is straight forward tho there is rock-hopping coming down from the col and some small route finding puzzles around the lakes. Once over Lamarck it isn't that big a deal providing you are in shape. If not, then we shouldn't be talking about it anyway. I'm assuming a reasonably fit person with a typical load.
lenny
Topix Newbie

Post by lenny »

Related Question:

I was thinking about heading up into the evolution area in june. I've read a bit about the evolution creek crossing, and was worried it might be impassible. If that's the case, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether the travel would be difficult staying on the other side of the creek either to cross further up or to head over to mcgee lakes. It looks pretty flat on the map, and the pictures I've seen show a conifer forest, but I was wondering if there were any unexpected surprises. I haven't spent much time in the sierra so I'm not that familiar with the terrain/forest.

Thanks,

lenny
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

lenny wrote:I was thinking about heading up into the evolution area in june. I've read a bit about the evolution creek crossing, and was worried it might be impassible. If that's the case, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether the travel would be difficult staying on the other side of the creek either to cross further up or to head over to mcgee lakes. It looks pretty flat on the map, and the pictures I've seen show a conifer forest, but I was wondering if there were any unexpected surprises. I haven't spent much time in the sierra so I'm not that familiar with the terrain/forest.
In early season it may be best to cross the creek not at the trail crossing, but more in the meadow where the water isn't as swift and doesn't lead directly into a cascade. I believe this is where the majority of PCT hikers cross in early season. Never hiked that side of the river, but am guessing its relatively easy forested x-country
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

When you get to the main Evolution Creek crossing entering Evolution Valley, continue up parallel to the river on the use trail. It'll take you out into Evolution Meadow and you should still see the use trail to the old JMT crossing at the upper end of the meadowl. It could still be bad in June but the current won't be too bad and it's a sandy bottom (the regular crossing has a bad current, cobbly bottom and runs right into a gorge 150 feet below).

I'd recommend water shoes and ski poles to cross at that time of year though, again, it may not be possible. You can continue up the south side of the river, but you still have to cross the stream coming out of Emerald Lake -- that can also be bad then though you might find logs (there's several streams). Kind of a thrash, but doable. But THEN you'd still have to cross McGee creek. There's a crossing log above Colby Meadow, but it's usually underwater until early July.

Kind of gnarly in early spring. Have to see how the melt goes.

Good luck.

George
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Hey all - just digging up this thread to thank everyone for the advice. We're leaving for this trip on Wednesday. Our itinerary is roughly as follows (and always, subject to change based on how we feel and what looks fun when we're out there...). This is a pretty easy going itinerary - I'm looking forward to some fishing, relaxing, and great scenery. So will I run into anyone out there?

wed: drive from bay area, pick up perrmit, trailhead, hike to upper lamarck lake.
thurs: Upper lamarck to Darwin Bench
fri: Darwin bench to sapphire or unnamed lake above sapphire. Afternoon dayhike to Muir Pass to show hubby the hut.
sat: morning climb of mt spencer. Back to camp - lunch, pack up, then over McGee Pass. Camp somewhere in McGee Lakes
sun: McGee to Darwin Bench
mon: hike out and go home. :(
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Sorry. I'll hopefully be up in the Tuolumne Area doing my REI Adventures Women's Trip (God help me.). I'm just hoping that with the Big Meadow Fire I don't have to drive from the Bay Area to Bridgeport and come up from 395. ](*,) Have a GREAT time.