Still getting out, short walks while rehabbing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Still getting out, short walks while rehabbing

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you Cori, I work with 18-20 wimmen and stay out of trouble there, so with two married ladies I can't get into too much trouble.
Piece of cake.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey SN!

Great to see you're already out and about. :thumbsup:

Seems everyone I know has recently had the same surgery (even my 79 year old Mom).

The pics are nice but I happen to be extra fond of Minaret Summit as it has become my favorite, um, "in car" sleeping place before hiking. Cool to see it snowed-in (or is that SnowNymphed?).

Here's to a speedy recovery.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Flip, I'm doing PT twice a week. Its been 3 wks, and still can't lift arm, but have more unassisted movement from elbow-hand. How long did it take your wife to lift arm? I'm afraid to go back to work without use of the arm. I'm a secretary to a director, and doing everything with left hand is slow, like 1 finger typing. :paranoid:

Duane, you're a sweetheart! :nod:

Shawn, MS is a good walk, with good views, and the groomed snow cushions the bouncing of shoulder. I went back this weekend again. :D

-------------------------------

Doing little hikes for awhile

Saturday, 7 Feb 2009
Rehab Wk 3: Minaret Summit again.

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/73 ... 7035_koLeS

Mammoth Mountain got 2 feet of snow so I stayed in Fri. I had to get out Saturday, so I walked to Minaret Summit from the Main Lodge. Same hike as last weekend, different conditions. No views due to weather, but new snow was pretty!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ozark Flip »

Snowy,

My wife actually had her surgery performed three months ago. I want to say a good 4 weeks before the arm lifting came along. So hang in there. I am having a hard time trying to tow my boat to the water this winter (I trout and kokanne fish the Mother Lode lakes during the winter/spring months) because my wife won't let me take her truck. Our other vehicle is a stick shift and she still says it hurts too much to drive it. So, three months and she still complains of driving a stick shift.

Good luck,

Flip
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Cori, looks like your rehab is coming along. Good to see you out, some of the photos make your sling look like it has a racing stripe, perfect for the girl on the go!
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Snowy, I, too, hadn't heard about your injury/surgery, but I'm glad to hear you're getting out a bit! The Sierra air is quite rehabilitating, isn't it? Hope you get better soon! :)
GigaMike
Topix Novice

Post by GigaMike »

Hi Snowy! Glad to see your still able to get outside. I hope you recover super fast :D
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Flip, thanks! I can't see myself using the stick shift for awhile. :crybaby: I will have to rent an automatic, I guess.

Thanks, Ridgeline, SteveB and GigaMike! Being in the Sierra helps recovery time, even though I can't do much. Got a ride to go back for this weekend, so I'm happy! The streak continues!

Sunday, 8 February 2009
Tamarack Lodge to Horseshoe Lake, Mammoth Lakes

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/73 ... 8584_w8mhW

Tamarack has a groomed walking path for walkers/snowshoers next to the xctry ski track, so this was perfect.

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Monday, 9 February 2009
Tamarack Lodge, Lake Mary Loop, Lake Mamie in Mammoth Lakes

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/73 ... 3011_W5iby

Monday: Went back to Tamarack Lodge to walk the Lake Mary Loop, then to Lake Mamie to add a little distance

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Love the winter shots, Lake Mary looks sooo cold, I remember flipping a small boat on that lake, throwing my wife Linda and myself into the water, we spent the next two hours in a hot shower shivering , kind of a bonding experience :D