day hikes around Las Vegas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

day hikes around Las Vegas

Post by don norton »

I know this site is dedacited to the Sierras but can anyone give me suggestions for day hies in an around Las Vegas Nevada :)
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Re: day hikes around Las Vegas

Post by Allyn »

Time of year makes a big difference. Spring, fall and winter your best bet is Red Rock Canyon. Beautiful canyons and red sandstone. Calico Tank, Pine Creek, Ice Box Canyon, La Madre Springs are favorites. Turtlehead Peak is a good strenuous hike. Red Rock is about 30 minutes west of Las Vegas and you can see it from the strip.

Valley of Fire is also a good place to hike around but not as much actual hikes as there is stuff to see. It is about a 45 minute drive north on I-15 towards Utah.

Mt. Charleston is a good bet for summer when the valley heats up. Trailheads start at about 6500 to 7500 feet so it is a lot cooler then. When it is 110 down below it is about 85 up there. Great hikes and lots to see. Bristlecone pine trees, aspens, some seasonal creeks and waterfalls. Fletcher Canyon, Raintree, Mary Jane Falls, Cathedral Rock, and Bristlecone trail are favorites. Summer can be a little treacherous if you get into thunderstorm season.

Here is a site to look at the gives you better details.

http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/_Hike_index.htm
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

Thanks Allen I am head to Vegas February 9. Wife likes to gamble and I don't I had rather be in the outdoors. Red Rock Canyon sounds like where I will head. Get her to drop me in the Morning and pick me up in the evening. Are you from that area?
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Yes I moved to Las Vegas aobut 12 years ago from Northern California as part of a job transfer. It was little hard to leave the Bay Area's variety, but I like living in Nevada and enjoy exploring the southwestern region desert. I have hiked Red Rock many times and especially enjoy Calico Tanks as the view at the end of the valley is great. Make sure you try that one for sure.

Enjoy your time as that time of year should be good.