Water/campsites High Sierra Camp loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Water/campsites High Sierra Camp loop

Post by hikerduane »

I'm doing the HS camp loop starting Oct. 3, going clockwise out of TM. I did three nights of this loop a couple years ago, but am using different trails this time for part of the second and third days. There is water at the west end of Echo Valley at the jct. but no spots to camp, only at the east end that I could see, besides, it would make for a long third day. Further north of the junction at Echo Valley, about .7 miles, where the trail splits again to the right and left, I would be heading to Sunrise Crk and the JMT. On my Tom Harrison, Yosemite High Country map, to the north of Bunnel Cascade, I cross its source, is there going to be water there, any camping? I was thinking too, it would be better to hike to the JMT and look for a spot with water for the second night out. How far after I hit the JMT, heading NE, would I have an opportunity to camp by water? It may be too close to Little Yosemite Valley to have any spots to camp, not sure, never been there. I may have company on the first three days of my trip, waiting to hear this next week if others will be able to go. Seems everyone has had family issues come up.

Day four and five, will be solo if I have company the first three days. I couldn't see the trail leaving Tenaya toward Polly Dome Lakes on my aborted trip last time when I had to hitchhike back to my truck. Did I forget that there is a visible trail leaving the north side of Tenaya, about half way past it, going to Polly Dome Lakes? The other option would be to just take the trail to May Lake for the fourth night, not that bad of a day from there to get to the Tuolumne River. Last night out, when I hit the Tuolumne River, camp at the junction or head upstream a bit, I can figure this one out, just wondering if there is a great spot for the last night. I wouldn't mind hiking further the fifth day, it would make for a quick out on the last morning.

Fishing. Seems last trip I didn't do very good fishing, if I brought my gear at all. Should I bring it? Will be camped at, Vogelsang Lake, Sunrise Creek, Sunrise Lakes, May Lake/Polly Dome Lakes, Tuolumne River. I will be strictly going on the trail no side trips to lakes close by. With the shorter days now and the need to set up camp and get cleaned up at the days end, side trips cut things too close and last time I was pooped anyway. I hope I made myself clear. Now all I need is a long range forecast so I can see if my car will be ok or if I need to take my pickup.
Piece of cake.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Water/campsites High Sierra Camp loop

Post by snusmumriken »

I was just in Tuolomne a couple of weeks ago, and went through May Lake and Glen Aulin. Dry, but beautiful. I was prepared for cold weather with extra woolie things, but it was summer temperatures still. That could have changed, obviously.

A few notes on favorite camping spots. With the exception for May lake I would skip the actual High Sierra camps.
Vogelsang lake is wonderful. I passed it up this summer because it was to buggy in early July - now it'll be perfect.
When I was in the area of Merced lake this summer I carried water up from the lake to an area of Echo Valley where I had a view of Half Dome in one direction and Merced lake in the other.
Middle Sunrise lake is my favorite out of the three. Its a little off the trail and lots of great camping spots at that lake.
Waking up to the reflection of Mount Hoffman in May lake is always very nice. It's not a long hike from Sunrise, and mostly down hill as well.
For your last night there is a great legal spot right at the bridge, about a mile from Glen Aulin towards Tuolomne. From here you have 5 miles back to Tuolomne Meadows on the trail or about three on a use trail that heads to the highway at Pothole Dome.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Water/campsites High Sierra Camp loop

Post by hikerduane »

I won't be staying at the camps, just passing thru. Thanks for the info on where to stay the last night. I just remembered this afternoon, that my neighbor who hit the Yosemite quite a bit when his stepson was in school, gave me a bunch of those High Sierra Hiking Guides and other bping related books. I'm looking thru the TM's one now. Looking at one trip description, it is going the opposite way I am going. I'll have to study it some and hope I get some more info here.
Piece of cake.