Whose Antenna Sits on the Glacier Divide?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Whose Antenna Sits on the Glacier Divide?

Post by Wild Bill »

The USFS cooperative? That's a laugh!
Trust me; I have personal involvement in this one. They not only won't let any other agency put any equipment in the repeater site, but no permission for any additional sites. (non-wilderness location on public land)
This was for Mono County Fire, Paramedics, and Sheriff.
I'm sorry I got a little off topic, guys! Please forgive me!

No one ever plans on getting hurt; but anyone who has gotten hurt in the backcountry, was thankful help came. The repeaters are a valuable part of rescue operations.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Gentlemen,
First, thanks to Shawn for the list; I confess that besides the antenna I noted, I've not run across any of the others (but then most of them are not deep in the backcountry). As for naming, George referred to the Glacier Divide location as the Evolution Valley repeater, but it's close enough to Piute (and I have not seen an antenna closer to Piute) that it may also be referred to as Piute. Maybe someone can clarify?

Otherwise, it seems like I may have touched on a raw nerve for some other folks. My 5 cents on this issue is that one of the fantasies that I carry into the backcountry is that I'm slightly less prone to the prying eyes of Big Brother. The emphasis is on slightly. But, if I ever do more than a standard face plant, I think I may appreciate the attention.
CG
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Shawn's list is all National Forest (I think) and your description puts the repeater in Kings Canyon (south of the divide). So it's definitely the Evolution repeater -- Park Service.