Hunting Season - Watch Out!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TriHard
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hunting Season - Watch Out!

Post by TriHard »

I spent last weekend backpacking the north fork of Big Pine Creek. Very beautiful!!! Saturday I set out to explore the other lakes in the area and as I was treking along a little used trail I ran into a guy dressed to the hilt in camo gear carrying a high powered rifle with scope. It turns out it was opening day of the deer season. Later in the day I ran across two more hunters. This was very unnerving; backpacking in a wilderness area and then running into hunters. When I picked up my permit in Lone Pine on Friday, the rangers said nothing about deer season. Anyway... WATCH OUT!!!
Starting over, half way through!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hunting Season - Watch Out!

Post by windknot »

I spent last weekend in Woodchuck Country and drove past a bunch of camps along a forest service road in the area, along with two at the road end we used as a jump-off point. Only ran into one hunter while in the backcountry though, and that was at the nearest lake. Made sure to wear lots of reflective tape!

Matt
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Hunting Season - Watch Out!

Post by giantbrookie »

Yes, this is always a consideration in fall. As a general rule, I always study the DFG hunting regs each year and avoid opening weekend in any one zone on my fall trips. One can always find a spot in the Sierra where it isn't opening weekend. In addition, once the season has opened, I always wear dayglo clothing with reflective tape on it (usually a dayglo orange hat and a dayglo orange vest with reflective tape over my usual clothes).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;