Hunting Season - Watch Out! | High Sierra Topix  

Hunting Season - Watch Out!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Hunting Season - Watch Out!

Postby TriHard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:15 am

I spent last weekend backpacking the north fork of Big Pine Creek. Very beautiful!!! Saturday I set out to explore the other lakes in the area and as I was treking along a little used trail I ran into a guy dressed to the hilt in camo gear carrying a high powered rifle with scope. It turns out it was opening day of the deer season. Later in the day I ran across two more hunters. This was very unnerving; backpacking in a wilderness area and then running into hunters. When I picked up my permit in Lone Pine on Friday, the rangers said nothing about deer season. Anyway... WATCH OUT!!!
Starting over, half way through!

TriHard
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: Hunting Season - Watch Out!

Postby windknot » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:38 pm

I spent last weekend in Woodchuck Country and drove past a bunch of camps along a forest service road in the area, along with two at the road end we used as a jump-off point. Only ran into one hunter while in the backcountry though, and that was at the nearest lake. Made sure to wear lots of reflective tape!

Matt
A few backcountry fishing pictures: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby giantbrookie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:44 pm

Yes, this is always a consideration in fall. As a general rule, I always study the DFG hunting regs each year and avoid opening weekend in any one zone on my fall trips. One can always find a spot in the Sierra where it isn't opening weekend. In addition, once the season has opened, I always wear dayglo clothing with reflective tape on it (usually a dayglo orange hat and a dayglo orange vest with reflective tape over my usual clothes).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Postby rightstar76 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:35 am

I won't go hiking in the national forest when people are out shooting. I will stick to the national parks. A couple years ago when we came out from Seville Lake to Sunset Meadow in October what a surprise we were in for! A bunch of young guys waving their rifles in the air. Then pow! pow! pow! Not a way to end a backpacking trip. I had forgotten that the first three miles of the trail are in the national forest, not the park. Since then, I've stuck to Lodgepole after the season begins.
rightstar76
Topix Regular

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping