Ruskie Pass class 2 or 3?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Ruskie Pass class 2 or 3?

Post by mokelumnekid »

This summer my wife and I went east-to-west over "Ruskie Pass" (page 306 Secor, 2'd ed.). It is a great way to get from Merriam Lake area to Seven Gables Lakes Basin. The last section, tho short, is steep and in my book would rate class 3. For those traveling west-to-east, finding the best route to down-climb might be vexing. Below is a link to a pic of my wife doing a full pack lie-back up that part. Just a shout-out on being prepared for that.

http://tinyurl.com/4rj37d
kgw
Topix Acquainted

Re: Ruskie Pass class 2 or 3?

Post by kgw »

Wow! Did you find her or did she find you? :)
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

I found her thankfully, and she is an animal in the backcountry. Hiking from North lake to Merriam Lake in a day wasted me, but she cruised it.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Haven't been over there in the summer, but went over Ruskie Pass on skis this May. I think it's probably easier on the snow than it is in the summer. Here's a few shots from that trip - including one that looks like it's right about the same spot as your shot at Ruskie Pass.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26480813@N ... 001864773/
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

What a wonderful trip! I sure regret never learning how to ski (more than half-assed) and when I see fabulous trips like this, it reminds me of the wonderful dimensions of Sierra experiences that people like you can access. Thanks so much for sharing these pics.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I can assure you I can only ski about half-assed myself - but since I'm not too proud to walk down what I can't ski down, I find I can get around the mountains pretty welldespite being a crummy skier. You can do it!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Cool trip, mokelumnekid! I love that area!

and Paul, your trip looks like fun too! I just can't carry my splitboard so I can only do day trips. :(

I'll try to do more bc trip in the spring. Hope to see more skiing trips posted.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;