JMT in September?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: JMT in September?

Post by gdurkee »

B2:

Oldranger has it right (though I insist we're not old -- don't know why he'd choose a name like that...). Late August/September would be great to hike the JMT. Not impossible you'd get some snow early September, but as long as you've got a couple of days extra food to hang out, it'll almost certainly melt. In the 80s, it was not uncommon to get these huge rain/hurricane systems that would mean you'd have to hunker down for as long as 3 days, but they don't seem to happen as often now.

Anyway, a great time to hike. We just had a semi-solid snow storm (October 4th) which left 5" to drifts of 2 feet above 10,000 feet (deepest on passes). It's melting rapidly as I came out (though passes will likely remain gnarly for a week or so -- maybe even from now on). But I can't think of storms like that in September in the past.

Send me a note as you get closer, maybe we can rendezvous.

take care,

g.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Hi, George, and thanks for checking in! You bet: if we can arrange a rendezvous, we'll certainly give it a try! You can answer the one questions nobody else addressed: when do the SEKI backcountry rangers pack up and leave?

-B2
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for posting the report, B.
wannabp
Topix Novice

Post by wannabp »

Is this your ultralighter from Day 13? http://trailgirl.blogspot.com/ We saw her on Forester Pass in '05.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Yup, that's Catra! Quite a sight in the backcountry! :p
wannabp
Topix Novice

Post by wannabp »

Yeah, ever since we saw her, I've been trying to figure out how I could get a bit more class into my bp'ing persona.