yosemite advice: wegner lake/NW side of mt. Hoffmann/10 lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

yosemite advice: wegner lake/NW side of mt. Hoffmann/10 lake

Post by adam »

I'm interested in traversing from the pass at the south end of 10 lakes basin in Yosemite (between peaks 10542 and 1051 on the usgs topo) toward Mt. Hoffmann, then along the lakes that are on the northwest side of mt hoffmann ending at Wegner lake, then descending the ridge back to the Tioga road.

Does anyone have any advice or experience there? I'd love any input as to whether I'm inspired or smoking crack to think this is a good idea. Other than climbing mount Hoffmann years ago and seeing the lakes from above, I've never been there. It seems that the most difficult part would be descending into and climbing out of the basin of lake 9566, NE of mt. hoffmann.

Here's a map of the route--
http://picasaweb.google.com/arsmith2/We ... 6911290946

thanks,
adam
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: yosemite advice: wegner lake/NW side of mt. Hoffmann/10 lake

Post by maverick »

Hi Adam welcome to HST.
The route is fine just watch the Lake 9566 area(some route finding to avoid
steep areas, though nothing more than class 2 at most).
Lake 9820 just north of Mt Hoffman is nice as is the the lake near the start of
the branch of the South Fork Cathedral, northeast of Hoffman.
I visited the area during a hike coming up from Morrison Creek-Double Rock area.
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by adam »

thanks very much-- that's what I wanted to hear! I'll try it out this weekend. One more question that just occurred to me-- does it get traffic noise from the road?

thanks again!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Funny you should mention it--I've been looking at Lake 9820 and Wegner Lake for a shortish (3-4 day) trip at some point. (My idea was May Lake to 9820, then over to Wegner, then cross the ridge and traverse the southern slopes back to the trailhead.)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My trip was in the spring time before Tioga was open, but I cannot see it being an issue
especially since it is pass Labor Day.
Don't forget to post a TR.
RogerB3
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RogerB3 »

Hi,

Found the post doing a search of Wegner Lake. A backpacker I was talking to at the Yosemite Creek trailhead mentioned it when we were talking about the area of Ten Lakes.... I was interested in the best route to this off trail lake and was wondering if Adam still had a link to his map as the Picassa link is bad. This looks like the easiest route to me... https://caltopo.com/p/MUA0L