Early October trip planned to Mineral King

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Early October trip planned to Mineral King

Post by cgundersen »

Hi snus,
Wow, I just glanced at Maverick's Sawtooth photo and if that does not seal the deal.........well, it looks like you could lassoo the Kaweahs from up there. Yes, the last few hundred feet up to the pass are a grind, but the payoff is right there! Franklin's definitely a great plan B (if you're feeling less energetic or if the weather's more iffy, it would not disappoint).
Good luck!
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

CG, they should have called Columbine Lake, Guitar Lake it looks more like a guitar
than the one at Whitney!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just to mention the pass is sandy as others mentioned but coming back down
its like skiing on fresh powder, which is a blast.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

maverick wrote:Here is another great place to go which will not be close as difficult and give you
great views and beautiful lakes.
From Sunset Meadow near Horse Corral hike to either Seville or Lost Lake, from there you
can go cross-country to visit Sheep Camp Lakes (highest is the prettiest).
Don't bother with Ranger Lake.
Both Lost and Seville Lakes have bear boxes and you'll have both of them to yourselves.
Sunset Meadow is my favorite trailhead. Seville Lake is a nice spot during this season. There is also Beville Lake which is smaller as I recall but has some beautiful rock as a backdrop to wake up to. I haven't been there in awhile though. Maverick, have you noticed that they have built a "Sequoia High Sierra Camp" about a mile from the Marvin Pass Trailhead? I was horrified when I ran across it on the Internet the other day but in retrospect, it might not be too bad if it doesn't accomodate loads of folks. The site didn't load properly for me so I can't indicate the specifics...

http://www.sequoiahighsierracamp.com/expect/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That sucks, another HSC.
That means Seville and Lost Lake will most likely get a lot more usage during in-season
but still be quiet during off-season.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I just got back from MK, but it was a 5 day trip (over Franklin Pass and back around through Timber Gap). Although I love Sawtooth Pass and Sawtooth Peak, if I had one night, I'd camp at Franklin Lakes. Actually, Upper Franklin Lake (a short cross-country jaunt), which you will have all to yourself. If you've got a lot of energy, then you can hike to the pass and then climb Mt. Florence (easy Class 3) the next morning, before heading down. Eagle Lake doesn't compare to either of the Franklin/Sawtooth options.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

As it turned out the weather report for the first weekend in October had a early winter storm warning and the second weekend was also forecasted to be very cold. So we went the second weekend of October, but changed the destination to beach camping in Central California.

I wanted to thank everybody for their suggestions for the Mineral King and various alternatives trip. We are definitely doing a future trip to Mineral King and one to Pear lake as well, and have taken note of your suggestions. Thanks again, you guys (and gals) are awesome!